Animal Shelter Temperament tests-are they really outdated?

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I was surprised to see the following petition on Change.org. Petition · Virginia Donohue: End the Use of Archaic "Temperament" tests for dogs and cats at San Francisco ACC · Change.org

From what I understand these tests are done in animal shelters around the country, and I thought they worked. For those of you with experience with shelter and rescue animals, are these tests really outdated? If so, what would work better for gauging an animal's temperament? Isn't it true that shelters and rescues usually don't have the time, money or personnel to test and train their animals in the best possible way to make sure they're suitable for adoption?

Please enlighten me. Thanks.

I agree and I just signed it.

Also, not mentioned there, is labeling dogs as "dog aggressive" by how they behave in a stressful shelter environment. Or labeling them dog aggressive because they didn't get along with 1 other dog. Around here most local shelters still give these dogs a chance at adoption but it takes a lot longer to get adopted when you are marked "must be the only animal".