shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other

We focus on farmed animals because they suffer and die in such vast numbers. In the UK alone, more than 1 billion land animals – including chickens, pigs, turkeys, ducks, cows and sheep are killed for meat, milk and eggs every year. :cold_sweat:
That doesn't even include fish and other aquatic animals, who are killed in such large numbers that they're measured in weight, not individuals.

The vast majority of these animals spend their lives locked inside crowded, filthy factory farms that deny all of their natural behaviours. :(

• Sad
Reactions: Emma JC
From a cursory reading of their web page it sounds as if they're doing really good work. Some animal rights advocates would probably scoff at such a "welfarist" approach, but I think this is how progress is usually made in most areas of life: step by step incremental improvements - most of the time small steps, occasionally bigger steps, which together lead to major positive change in the longer term.

Reactions: Emma JC
From a cursory reading of their web page it sounds as if they're doing really good work. Some animal rights advocates would probably scoff at such a "welfarist" approach, but I think this is how progress is usually made in most areas of life: step by step incremental improvements - most of the time small steps, occasionally bigger steps, which together lead to major positive change in the longer term.

Totally agree. Small steps are often the way to progress when you wish to reach a goal.

They were also awarded the best charity award in 2018, for their work.

This is one of the charities where I make regular donations. The other ones include Born Free, The Donkey Sanctuary, Sana and L214.

I believe they all do excellent work and help many animals who endure pain and misery.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
All donations to Animal Equality are currently being matched until the end of December, by a generous supporter. Give now and your donation will have twice the impact for animals!

For example, a donation of £5 will be matched at no extra cost to you, meaning Animal Equality receives £10! 👍

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Does this need to be a sticky?

Should we expect moderators to give their preferred organizations special status?

There's a lot of diversity on this forum in terms of philosophy and the goals and strategies of activism and the organizations we support. It sounds like Animal Equality is doing good work and I wish them success but we're gonna have a lot of stickies if the mods aren't playing favorites.

We focus on farmed animals because they suffer and die in such vast numbers. In the UK alone, more than 1 billion land animals – including chickens, pigs, turkeys, ducks, cows and sheep are killed for meat, milk and eggs every year. :cold_sweat:
That doesn't even include fish and other aquatic animals, who are killed in such large numbers that they're measured in weight, not individuals.

The vast majority of these animals spend their lives locked inside crowded, filthy factory farms that deny all of their natural behaviours. :(
Hey Animal Equality team! You are doing well. I also want to share something that may help you. I know my answer seems irrelevant to our topic, but there is a site: Home. I read its posts that find me well. I contacted its owner, who also has the same mindset and planned to organize an online organization to fight for animal rights. You can contact him or me for more details about the org setting plan.

How can we help such poor creatures? Is there any way?

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15