Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurora

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi Everyone,

I’ve just joined this forum. I’ve been mostly plant based for years, I’ve made the switch to veganism for ethical reasons. These being the obvious concern for animal welfare, but primarily for the impact animal agriculture has on climate change and ecosystems. I work as a zoologist in conservation and I could no longer reconcile consuming/using animal products with my passion for wildlife.

So, here is my strange question. As a side hustle/hobby, I have collected and carved animal skulls since I was a kid. The ones I use are found specimens (only what is legal to collect), and occasionally I will buy from a supplier whose skulls are also found. No money is paid for the skulls themselves and no industry is supported by finding them. I carve them and sometimes do resin inlays etc. then sell them. 20% of my profits go towards supporting wildlife related causes.

Obviously, by definition this isn’t vegan as skulls are an animal product. However, I can’t find an ethical dilemma with it myself, but a few of my vegan friends I’ve mentioned it to say it’s not okay.

I know there might be an ‘ick’ factor for some people but I personally don’t think using bones from naturally deceased animals is unethical. I’d be really interested to see what people think on this one? To help me make my mind up about whether to continue with it or not

Also, sorry if this isn’t the best place to ask. I couldn’t really decided where to put this question, and it’s part of me transitioning to being vegan, so it seemed appropriate

It seems like you have an interest in something that is not causing suffering to any living being or animal. Some may argue that disturbing or using the remains for your own use could be seen by some as a form of disrespect. Sometimes this would be tied to someone's religious belief of finding cows, .. etc, sacred. Also profiting off of the remains of a once sacred thing sounds like it is in a vast grey area. If it was more of a memorabilia towards remembering the life.. not tied to financial gain, then it would have a much better vibe to the whole thing.

Personally I have no issue with using skulls for art if you acquired them from credible and ethical sources (unrelated to suffering). When I'm gone.. there would be no moral dilemma, in my mind, for someone turning my long-gone bones into a work of art.

Good Point! Maybe I’ll move it over there.

Thanks for your response, I agree that the financial aspect is definitely the most cloudy part. I can also appreciate that some people would see it as disrespectful. Obviously I’m bias because I enjoy the art form so much, but it would be great if someone carved my skull after death. Pop me on the coffee table, good conversation starter 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.