An apology and a new start!

madjock2010

Newcomer
Reaction score
Ok so let me start with IM SORRY.

I have dismissed the views and concerns, and often been rude about vegetarians and vegans.

The fact is I have loved meat and as many people are,I have been blinkered to the harsh realities of the meat industries.

I have always called myself an animal lover because I keep dogs, yet I eat chicken that had been reared in the dark, overcrowded and genetically manipulated so we can have big breasts. Yeah I'm a true animal lover.

Well yesterday I watched a film called food inc. And although not massively detailed, it opened my eyes. I spent last night researching and today I made my choice.

I am a vegetarian.

I won't deny this is going to be tough for me to do. I will miss things like bacon and chicken, but I'm not prepared to continue funding animal cruelty.

I hope I can rely on your help to get me through the first few weeks and months, and that you will excuse my ignorance as I learn my new lifestyle.

Thanks indian summer.

I just need to work out my diet now,

I enjoy cooking, so I'm relishing trying some new dishes.

Hardest part will be putting up with the wife's cooked meats.

Welcome to "the dark side" as we say around here, and welcome to the board! :wave: Congrats on your new diet and lifestyle!

When someone is completely new to a plant-based diet, we often recommend meat replacements to help fill that hole on the plate where meat used to be, until you figure out how to make good, healthy meals without the meat. If we know where you live, we can recommend items that might be available where you are that would help, such as fake bacon, fake chicken, fake turkey, etc. that you can use in place of the "real" stuff.

Would you be willing to tell us your location (city and/or country), as that would help us suggest items?

Reactions: madjock2010
Funny, my wife has referred to my decision as joining 'the dark side'.

That seems like a good idea, my biggest concern is ensuring I get enough proteins.

I live near Guildford in the UK.

Last edited:
my biggest concern is ensuring I get enough proteins.

Here's a page on protein.
Protein
You need 0.8grams of protein for every kilogram of weight(based upon healthy weight)
So if your healthy weight is 80grams, then you need roughly 64grams of protein per day.(but more for body builders as they have more muscle mass that needs maintaining)

You could do a protein count for your diet, if you are worried....I did that once, and I was surprised how quickly the protein added up.

Getting Lysine(an essential amino acid that build proteins) is supposed to be important. Lysine is in beans and a few other things.

Quorn meats are supposed to have all the protein you need(complete proteins). As good as meat I read.

Reactions: madjock2010
Very interesting article blobbenstein.

As I read it a good balance of lentils, beans, nuts, seeds and soya, is all that is required.

I already have a diet laden with beans and lentils, so have probably been over doing the whole protein thing for 29 years.

I'm a little confused about cheese, as I have read some info that says it may not be vegetarian? Can anyone clarify?

I'm a little confused about cheese, as I have read some info that says it may not be vegetarian? Can anyone clarify?

Rennet
In cheese making, for milk to separate into curds and whey (curdling), the process requires the addition of rennet. Rennet contains the enzyme chymosin. Rennet can be sourced from the abomasum (fourth stomach) of newly-born calves where the chymosin aids digestion and absorption of milk. Adult cows do not have this enzyme. Chymosin is extracted from slaughtered calves by washing and drying the stomach lining, which is cut into small pieces and macerated in a solution of boric acid/brine for 4-5 days. Three of the major sources of protease for coagulating milk are from animal sources, veal calves, adult cows and pigs, the other three are from fungi.

Vegetarian Society - Fact Sheet - Cheese Production

a lot of cheese in the UK is vegetarian, as it uses non animal sources that serve the function of rennet.

You can likely get vegan (made from soya) cheeses in the UK. I'll let the forum's UK residents help you with specific items and brands, as I live in the US and I'm not personally familiar with what's available where you live. :)

ETA: You may want to add or increase your intake of whole grains (brown rice, flax, millet, quinoa, etc.), as a good source of fibre and as a change of pace from other sources of protein.

So some lovely veggie sausages on a nice bap for lunch. Proper nice.

And what did the wife have................. Bacon.

Apparently she was testing my resolve.