US Amazon Buys Whole Foods

I can't read it now but I heard something about it. I'm not sure I'm going to like this. :(

I never go to Whole Foods but shop at amazon.com all the time. I don't think it will make much of a difference in our lives. :D I don't like huge corporations getting "huger" though.

I still haven't had a chance to read the link. I need to know that I will still be able to shop in my store and not just online. Like, what about the bakery items...the vegan scones, blueberry muffins, Cafe Indigo cakes? My Beyond Meat fresh hamburgers? Chao slices?

I feel like I'm living in a futuristic sci-fi movie! Lol

I feel like I'm living in a futuristic sci-fi movie! Lol

Well Amazon did what everyone said that they could not achieve ! All the experts said that they could never sell books online and that you had to 'see' the product. Well, they were proved wrong.

Reactions: KLS52
I have never liked or trusted anyone to pick out my groceries for me. I do not see me utilizing an online delivery, or even pick up, service for things like fruit and vegetables. I would have no problem with other, non perishable items.

I use chewy.com for my pet food/litter needs and I love it. I have used Amazon for some other items.

I guess I'm wondering how it will work with refrigerated/frozen items. I have, occasionally, ordered hard to find products from online vegan stores and resent paying for the ice and special packaging. I'm already paying more for the fact that the items are vegan.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Pros and cons to everything, I suppose. Change is always a little scary and I wonder what direction this will lead to for the future. I had a really bad week, in general, so I'm feeling a little negative about the whole thing. I have a hard time not projecting doom and gloom when I'm in this kind of mood, haha. The angst-ridden, introvert part of me is saying yay, I never have to leave my house again and the people loving part of me is resisting and feeling like it's going to lose the battle. The battle is exhausting.

When did I become the queen of over-dramatizing? I used to be so chill! All this over a supermarket. :lol:

We have ordered a few food items from amazon.com like wheat gluten which you can get so much cheaper. We have also done the "order online/pickup at the store" at Walmart a couple times. Not for produce though, that I want to SEE and pick out myself. It will be interesting to see where this acquisition goes.

We have ordered a few food items from amazon.com like wheat gluten which you can get so much cheaper. We have also done the "order online/pickup at the store" at Walmart a couple times. Not for produce though, that I want to SEE and pick out myself. It will be interesting to see where this acquisition goes.

We don't have that option over here. I can see that Amazon is highly successful due to all the empty 'Amazon' cartons in the rubbish shed in our residence.

Me too.

We don't have that option over here. I can see that Amazon is highly successful due to all the empty 'Amazon' cartons in the rubbish shed in our residence.

I love Amazon and order from them regularly. Just not for groceries...yet! I have noticed some items are listed as "pantry" but never checked out how it worked. I think there is some kind of minimum that you have to order of those particular pantry items so I never bothered. I'm sure I will jump on the bandwagon at some point especially with this new WF development.

I will only use amazon when they're a lot cheaper than other options. I browse sites like bensbargains.com and have gotten huge deals there-prices are like one day, or hours, only.
I just ordered a pair of shoes there taking advantage of their return policy. I have an extreme problem finding shoes that fit right and they have old styles
I order my furnace filters there, just ordered a cell phone battery.. wouldn't buy fresh food online ever
I resented Wholefoods the way they were, even more now. Why can't a store be profitable selling non gmo, and organics, with a focus on animal-free foods? My whole foods seemed more geared towards omni offerings while overpricing every thing i would buy. And smelled of fish

Chewy.com is the best for cats and dogs (I guess other guys too!)

A few years ago when I hurt my back, I couldn't do much of anything, including going grocery shopping, so I used Vons's delivery service a couple of times. They were okay, but fell short in certain areas, like picking old and bruised apples and making substitutions I didn't want, and, oh, yeah, being told that they didn't have what I ordered despite the website indicating that the items were available, but not making any substitutions or even contacting me about it BEFORE the guy showed up at my door.

So if I use a grocery delivery service again, it probably won't be from Vons.

I'm already unhappy...hopefully, it's just a coincidence, but there was no Cafe Indigo cakes, no vegan bakery cookies, no Beyond crumbles and no Just Mayo. That never happens. :(

Don't worry, you'll likely only see positive changes! Easier checkout, more online integration - i.e. more options for people who do like to buy their groceries online. You won't have an algorithm picking out your groceries instead of you.

You'll never hear me defend giant corporations like Amazon, but their tech is really only a good thing on the consumer end.

Reactions: KLS52