Alternatives to traditional shampoo

kim1984

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Right now I'm using Castile Soap by Dr. Bronner's on my hair, to try and re-train my hair to not get so oily. I rinse it with apple cider vinegar diluted with water. It's a hard transition period right now because all I want is that "squeaky clean" feeling rather than feeling weighed down by semi-oily hair. It's going to take perseverance, I think!

Have any of you tried any alternatives to traditional shampoo? How have you found the process, and how did they impact your hair?

In the UK Lush is one of the main alternatives to traditional shampoos.

They have a wonderful selection of vegan shampoos, soaps and conditioners and if you go into one of their shops, they will give you a free sample or two to try. My preference is for the coconut oil shampoo called Trichomania. It's a solid shampoo which throws most people, but just use it like soap, make a lather and apply.

This page of Peta's is quite useful. http://features.peta.org/cruelty-free-company-search/index.aspx
As is this page http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/buyersguides/healthbeauty/shampoo.aspx

Not so related to this but I remember watching an eye opening video on youtube about an amazonian tribe and their first contact with the "civilized world" i.e NatGeo. Anyway, it depicted how these people made their own toothpaste, their own soap, and their own skin oils among other things all from abundantly available plant sources in the jungle. It was really interesting, cant remember what it was called though.

Hm. I've never consider ACV for the hair. I know that you want that cleanliness, but would that actually be good for the hair? I know that ACV is great for everything else, but I'm concerned about that being too alkaline for hair to withstand.

EDIT: Wow. excuse me. I just looked up ACV for hair, and found a lot of interesting stuff. It seems like it does a lot of great things, including being exteremely good for the hair cuticles and follicles. Is the ANYTHING ACV can't do?