Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
In Canada we celebrate Thanksgiving earlier than in the USofA and so our weekend is coming up October 12 -14.

Yesterday, in my large local grocery store (chain) they still didn't have any Gardein turkey rolls available and so I asked the manager of the department. She said she has ordered tons of them and they should arrive today and will be on sale as of Thursday. That was good to hear. Why am I writing about this?

I mentioned to her that I didn't see any Tofurky at all either. She then told me that they will no longer be ordering any tofurky products as they just don't sell and expire on the shelf. Thought that was very interesting and then realized that I have never bought a Tofurky product myself and so therefore shouldn't be so surprised.

Does any one else buy Tofurky? and/or Gardein? any feedback on your preference?

Emma JC

About 3 Xmases ago I spent 2 weeks housesitting all by myself (not counting the two dogs). Also these people had a kitchen I was unfamiliar with and it was also very nice and so I kept my cooking and preparing to a minimum. And I didn't want to go home and get ingredients that weren't there and also in December grocery shopping is somewhat traumatic.

Anyway, I decided it was a good time to do some frozen food taste testing. I got Gardien, a Tofurkey, and two different kinds of Field Roast. And i had them not only for multiple dinners but used them in creative ways for lunches as well. Well, not that creative- sandwiches.

Now I wish I had taken notes but this is what I remember. however, my memory is suspect so I may have gotten some stuff wrong. so feel free to correct me if you spot some mistakes.

I really liked the Tofurkey. mostly because it came with a brownie and gravy. All i needed to add was the sides - I made the string bean casserole at home and brought over. Plus I baked a bunch of potatoes.

Gardien was My favorite taste-wise. it also comes with gravy. And it was also the most expensive.

The Field Roasts didn't come with gravy (or a brownie) And they were the cheapest. ( just looked them up and they now have an option that comes with gravy). The field roast was the first one I made and I remember screwing up the prep for it. (Got distracted with football). It came out dry and I had no gravy for it. I made the second FR last. I think it was Cranberry flavored. It came out fine and also by then I had some homemade vegan gravy to add.

I think if you factor in cost, the Field Roast would be the clear winner. And just taste-wise the Gardien was my favorite. but you can't account for taste.

at some grocery stores the Field Roast Celebration Roast is available year-round in the frozen food aisle. Then they have "special" versions that are available just for the holidays.

Thank you for such great feedback.

I have not seen Field Roast roasts and so will try to find some locally.

The gravy is definitely a big plus, I wish they sold it separately as although it is easy to make I am not a fan of doing so.

Tofurky may be less expensive in terms of volume however taste ranks higher with me than volume does.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
Thank you for such great feedback.

I have not seen Field Roast roasts and so will try to find some locally.

The gravy is definitely a big plus, I wish they sold it separately as although it is easy to make I am not a fan of doing so.

Tofurky may be less expensive in terms of volume however taste ranks higher with me than volume does.

Emma JC

Taste is hard to predict. There is no accounting for taste.

Also as I discovered - correct preparation is something.

I think if i was to buy these again i would buy the Gardien

Reactions: Emma JC

Emma JC
I bought some Tofurky sausage rolls once, back when I used to eat a ton of garden burgers (before I was vegan - mostly Morning Star Farms). They were *disgusting,* IMO - drowning in oil (and I wasn't even avoiding oil at the time). They gave me intestinal issues, and just overall made me feel sick (and no, they weren't spoiled). I haven't touched a Tofurky product since. This was probably 5 or so years ago at least.

I do, however, sometimes have a few bites of the Gardein products (I get them for my son for sandwiches and stuff. Those are pretty good, as packaged 'fake food' goes.

I have tried an actual Tofurkey, the full holiday version, or whatever they call them. Anyhow, I can tell you why they don't sell. They suck! It was utterly disgusting. There were plenty of leftovers, and every last bit went into the compost, as everyone found it completely inedible. Yes, it was prepared according to directions.

Gardein on the other hand has a very tasty holiday centerpiece option for your plate. I've tried most of Gardein's products and have enjoyed all of them. They're a nice treat for a holiday for sure.

Just to be clear: I am not speaking for all Tofurkey products, as I have only ever tried the holiday one. I have no desire for their other products.

I love Tofurky. Like cooking meat, you have to know how to cook a Tofurky. They do not "suck" in fact I have fed them to carnists who asked for seconds.

You have to marinate your Tofurky just like cooking meat. You add spices and wine and bake them slowly with root vegetables.

I can't imagine having something like Gardein products as a holiday meal, but they're fine for other meals sometimes.

Field Roasts are excellent, we get the smaller roast year round here and sometimes I slice and eat them on sandwiches.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
I bought some Tofurky sausage rolls once, back when I used to eat a ton of garden burgers (before I was vegan - mostly Morning Star Farms). They were *disgusting,* IMO - drowning in oil (and I wasn't even avoiding oil at the time). They gave me intestinal issues, and just overall made me feel sick (and no, they weren't spoiled). I haven't touched a Tofurky product since. This was probably 5 or so years ago at least.

I do, however, sometimes have a few bites of the Gardein products (I get them for my son for sandwiches and stuff. Those are pretty good, as packaged 'fake food' goes.

The holiday roast doesn't come in oil in fact you have to create your own marinade. You can use an orange juice base if you avoid oil. There's lots of recipes online. I use red wine, olive oil, soy sauce or tamari, and fresh sage. Then I bake it with onions and potatoes and carrots or turnips. I also add red wine and sage to the gravy or make my own.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I love the Gardein turkey rolls for Christmas and Thanksgiving because they are just the right size so that I enjoy them immensely and yet there is tons of room on the plate for potatoes, a squash mix, dressing, cranberries etc and so we eat more veggies than "meats".

Emma JC

This is a good thread and we should keep it going thru November and December.

I stopped by the frozen food aisle of my local grocery store this morning and they have the Field Roast Celebration Roast in stock. I do think that it is a year-round product. While I was there they had a whole shelf of something I hadn't seen or noticed before. Light Life Burgers, Sausages and ground.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
This is a good thread and we should keep it going thru November and December.

I stopped by the frozen food aisle of my local grocery store this morning and they have the Field Roast Celebration Roast in stock. I do think that it is a year-round product. While I was there they had a whole shelf of something I hadn't seen or noticed before. Light Life Burgers, Sausages and ground.

I wonder if having Field Roasts in stock year round is a California thing?

Light Life is the one thing I can't stand. It blows my mind that people complain about Tofurky when Light Life exists. Maybe it's just personal taste. I've added taco spices and numerous veggie toppings to Gimme Lean just so I wouldn't throw it in the compost. I'd rather spend more money than choke it down again.

I wonder if having Field Roasts in stock year round is a California thing?

Light Life is the one thing I can't stand. It blows my mind that people complain about Tofurky when Light Life exists. Maybe it's just personal taste. I've added taco spices and numerous veggie toppings to Gimme Lean just so I wouldn't throw it in the compost. I'd rather spend more money than choke it down again.

I agree with you @Forest Nymph, Light Life burgers do not compare and I had both Beyond and Light Life burgers BBQed on the same night and I could tell the difference mostly because the Light Life had what felt like gristle in them and it was disgusting for sure.

Emma JC

I think the only Light Life product I've had is the hot dogs - which were terrible.

But I was under the impression that the Burgers, ground, and sausages were brand new products. It could be that my store just started carrying them or maybe they are just in new packages.

According to this they just came out in January.

My store didn't have them in the meat aisle- they are still in the frozen food aisle - so I don't know.....

I think the only Light Life product I've had is the hot dogs - which were terrible.

But I was under the impression that the Burgers, ground, and sausages were brand new products. It could be that my store just started carrying them or maybe they are just in new packages.

My store didn't have them in the meat aisle- they are still in the frozen food aisle - so I don't know.....

Oh wow, I love their pups and smart dogs, you have to be super careful about cooking them, they over cook very easily and turn to yuck. Even have a carnist friend who can't (won't) eat hotdogs, but likes the LL dogs... Different strokes, I guess.

One LL product I would encourage everyone to try is their GIMME LEAN sausage chubs. They come in a plastic chub and you form them up like Jimmy Dean brand loose sausage and if you fry them on a pan with a little oil they are great, and would possibly "trick" a carnist, or atleast would be carnist approved.

As per tofurky, they have some very yummie product IMHO, not all of them, but the deli slices tend to be tasty, and some of their other products are decent too, like the sausages. Some of their other products I couldn't get in to tho.

Ah but then there is Gardien :p which is one of my fave PBM companies, based on product line. Their ultimate beefless burders are great for a simple burder and are much cheaper than beyond or impossible. Their nuggets have all sorts of flavor to the breading, and the seitan inside is amazing!

Speaking of seitan (and the OP): Have you considered making seitan for the centerpiece? Much cheaper and you can make it how you want. Then again, it may take a bit of work, and has a higher chance of turning out bad...

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I really really like the Gardein Chicken Tenders too - we have them about once every two weeks.

I will not make seitan as it is too much work and we eat so little of the 'processed' foods that it really isn't worth my time.

Having one small turkey roll with lots of sides of veggies, potatoes etc is perfect for me. If I went to all the work of making a large seitan roast then I would feel like I had to eat a lot more of it at a time. All the best to those that do though, it must be very satisfying.

Emma JC

The burgers maybe. As far as I know Gimme Lean has been around since the 70s or 80s. It was definitely around twenty years ago. Did they improve it? I'm not risking it.

I really really like the Gardein Chicken Tenders too - we have them about once every two weeks.

I will not make seitan as it is too much work and we eat so little of the 'processed' foods that it really isn't worth my time.

Having one small turkey roll with lots of sides of veggies, potatoes etc is perfect for me. If I went to all the work of making a large seitan roast then I would feel like I had to eat a lot more of it at a time. All the best to those that do though, it must be very satisfying.

Emma JC

I like the 7 grain tenders. I even prepare them a certain way, in lettuce wraps with Daiya Bleu Cheez dressing and Tobasco Chipotle flavor. I don't eat them all the time, but they're super tasty.

• Love
The burgers maybe. As far as I know Gimme Lean has been around since the 70s or 80s. It was definitely around twenty years ago. Did they improve it? I'm not risking it.

Not sure. I thought the burgers, ground, and sausage are new. but maybe it's just the packaging. At my market, they got a whole shelf to themselves and that was not there last month.