Allergic to wheat and soy

• Thread starter Deleted member 2049
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2049

I'm interested in going vegan, but I'm allergic to wheat and soy.

Could anyone suggest alternatives to these?

You can eat beans, nuts and legumes to replace soy. There's also so many fruits and veggies out there. You can get gluten free pasta that's made with corn, quinoa, lentils or rice. Rice is also a good option. Instead of focusing on what you can't have focus on what you can have and it opens worlds of possibilities.

Reactions: Jamie in Chile
Hi Veggieluver and welcome,

Below is a poem by Benjamin Zephaniah. It was written in response to a perennial question always directed at vegans:

Vegan Delight

Ackees,chapatties
Dumplins an nan,
Channa an rotis
Onion uttapam,
Masala dosa
Green callaloo
Bhel an samosa
Corn an aloo.
Yam an cassava
Pepperpot stew,
Rotlo an guava
Rice an tofu,
Puri, paratha
Sesame casserole,
Brown eggless pasta
An brown bread rolls.

Soya milked muesli
Soya bean curd,
Soya sweet sweeties
Soya's de word,
Soya bean margarine
Soya bean sauce,
What can mek medicine?
Soya of course.

Soya meks yoghurt
Soya ice-cream,
Or soya sorbet
Soya reigns supreme,
Soya sticks liquoriced
Soya salads
Try any soya dish
Soya is bad.

Plantain an tabouli
Cornmeal pudding
Onion bhajee
With plenty cumin,
Breadfruit an coconuts
Molasses tea
Dairy free omelettes
Very chilli.
Ginger bread, nut roast
Sorell, paw paw,
Cocoa an rye toast
I tek dem on tour,
Drinking cool maubi
Meks me feel sweet,
What was dat question now?
WHAT DO WE EAT?

I’m afraid there is a lot of soya in there but even ignoring that there should be a few ideas for you. :)

Roger.

Last edited:
You can eat beans, nuts and legumes to replace soy. There's also so many fruits and veggies out there. You can get gluten free pasta that's made with corn, quinoa, lentils or rice. Rice is also a good option. Instead of focusing on what you can't have focus on what you can have and it opens worlds of possibilities.
Thank you! I went to Trader Joe's and got some beans, lentils, brown rice pasta, and nuts.

Hi Veggieluver and welcome,

Below is a poem by Benjamin Zephaniah. It was written in response to a perennial question always directed at vegans:

Vegan Delight

Ackees,chapatties
Dumplins an nan,
Channa an rotis
Onion uttapam,
Masala dosa
Green callaloo
Bhel an samosa
Corn an aloo.
Yam an cassava
Pepperpot stew,
Rotlo an guava
Rice an tofu,
Puri, paratha
Sesame casserole,
Brown eggless pasta
An brown bread rolls.

Soya milked muesli
Soya bean curd,
Soya sweet sweeties
Soya's de word,
Soya bean margarine
Soya bean sauce,
What can mek medicine?
Soya of course.

Soya meks yoghurt
Soya ice-cream,
Or soya sorbet
Soya reigns supreme,
Soya sticks liquoriced
Soya salads
Try any soya dish
Soya is bad.

Plantain an tabouli
Cornmeal pudding
Onion bhajee
With plenty cumin,
Breadfruit an coconuts
Molasses tea
Dairy free omelettes
Very chilli.
Ginger bread, nut roast
Sorell, paw paw,
Cocoa an rye toast
I tek dem on tour,
Drinking cool maubi
Meks me feel sweet,
What was dat question now?
WHAT DO WE EAT?

I’m afraid there is a lot of soya in there but even ignoring that there should be a few ideas for you. :)

Roger.
Thank you, Roger. Many ideas.

I'm vegan and also gluten-free, which means that I also don't do wheat , of course. I really like quinoa, and so do a lot of folks. I imagine though you've already found some substitutes for it? As for going vegan, that's never really been an issue, except for avoiding sietan, which is nothing but gluten… From wheat I imagine.

Great veggie luver. It is pretty clear cut that you can do a vegan diet without soy. The reason is because other legumes like lentils and beans are fairly similar to soy nutritionally - try a lentil burger.

Doing without wheat should also be plausible, as shown above. Some good posts above, I especially agree with the one by amber funk.

It should - after an initial period of time and effort - become easy enough to fill your house with no soy, no wheat vegan products and have a great healthy diet.

The difficulty however is going to be restaurants and going to other people's houses. Here's you'll have to tread carefully. Turning up to some friend's BBQ is going to be tricky for instance, because they could hear you are vegan and buy you a vegan burger with soy and bread with wheat. Do you think you'll need to just bring your own food on those situations - perhaps telling people so in advance? And then restaurants, your options are also going to be quite limited. It may be worth calling places in advance otherwise you're going to end up having to ask a lot of awkward questions or eating a lot of salad.

I'm not trying to put you off. I think everyone should do a vegetarian and vegan diet but, if you are going to be 100% vegan or even 100% vegetarian, even in social situations, you will need to put a little bit of advance thought into it.

Reactions: Alex_M
I'm interested in going vegan, but I'm allergic to wheat and soy.

Could anyone suggest alternatives to these?
Amaranth is an ancient grain and a complete protein, make a porridge out of it. Also Oats are a great substitute for wheat, there are some great recipes for oat breads. Also Chick Peas can make a great flour that replaces wheat flours. Chick Peas can also be made into tofu see here>> https://tinyurl.com/ybj49ccc. Also hemp seeds are another great complete protein. Seaweeds and Algaes are a great source of complete protein and other minerals. There is an abundance of plant foods that can take the place of soy and wheat.