Affordable Superfoods

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Stinging nettle. It's like spinach, but free. and those are abundant. You can also eat the seeds. Just be careful where to harvest. Harvesting near roads and agriculture areas is not a good idea.
If eating it yourself sounds scary, giving nettle tea to your plants is one other good thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stinging nettle. It's like spinach, but free. and those are abundant. You can also eat the seeds. Just be careful where to harvest. Harvesting near roads and agriculture areas is not a good idea.
If eating it yourself sounds scary, giving nettle tea to your plants is one other good thing to do.

I've often seen recipes using stinging nettles but think that it must be tedious to pick and prepare them. Have you ever tried them?

I do remember picking wild sorrel and field mushrooms when I was a tot and they were both delicious.

I've often seen recipes using stinging nettles but think that it must be tedious to pick and prepare them. Have you ever tried them?

I do remember picking wild sorrel and field mushrooms when I was a tot and they were both delicious.
Sorrel is the best. Also wild chives. I loved both especially as a child. Me, my brother and Petja would also often take willow branches, peel those and stick them into an fire ant nest. The ants would attack it and cover it with their poison. Then we would shake the ants off and lick the poison. It was tasty. But not vegan.
Eating stinging nettles has been on my list of to do, but mostly I have just eaten dandelions, sorrel, chives and lady's mantle.
When harvested young the stinging nettle shouldn't sting. I have often harvested them, but just haven't eaten and usually I won't get stung or if I do it isn't that bad. You also get desensitised after a while. I have seen people kinda "wilt" them over a fire (not in the fire, but in the hot smoke) and then add them into a boiling water making tea. When they get wilted like that they shouldn't sting. But then again, I haven't tested that myself yet. But I want to.

Actually, I might have eaten some nettle chips once, but can't remember. It has been a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: shyvas
I’m not a fan of green tea either but I force myself to drink it because it has the lowest amount of tannins. And rooibos tea too which I do like enough. Sometimes I mix the two together.

Reactions: helenmerritt
In a Dr. Greger Q&A he said red cabbage is the most nutrition per dollar you can find in your typical grocery store
Do you think they taste differently? I like green cabbage a lot, but everytime I try red and I don't like it!