Administering Fluids to Cat, Dog, Etc. at Home

KLS52

Love Is A Verb
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
My cat Cybil is 18 and has kidney failure. We are attempting to keep her comfortable for her remaining days and she is going to require IV fluids as her sodium levels are through the roof (the vet doesn't understand how she is still here with the levels so high) and is very dehydrated.

I have an appointment this morning and they are going to attempt to show me how to do it at home. Apparently, this is not an uncommon thing. I did a search online and it seems a little scary. Of course, I will wait to see how the appointment goes.

I am wondering if anyone here has ever administered IV fluids to a furbaby at home.

The good news is, she is alert, eating, using the litter box, and really does not seem ill. She is just extremely thin and frail.

Reactions: Tom L.
I have done it with more cats than I care to recall. Have them give you a couple of different needle sizes. I find that, if it's a cat that I can get settled on my lap for a while, I prefer to use the smallest size needle; it takes longer to get the right amount of fluid in, but it hurts less to get the needle in, and so doesn't become an unpleasant experience for them.

I also put the bag of saline in a hot water bath and get the saline to body temperature before I start. That way, they don't have the unpleasant sensation of cold water trickling in under their skin. With a little practice, it will get to the point where they don't even feel what's being done; it just becomes an extended lap sitting time.

Thank you, Mischief. :) She was very compliant at the vet office when the tech did it. They actually gave me the larger sized needle so the fluids will go in faster. She didn't even flinch when they stuck her so I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. Since she was content to sit quietly while the fliuds went in, if I end up having a problem with insertion I will ask for the smaller needle. I think she will stay fine even if it takes a little longer.

They also suggested warming up the bag first. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: Tom L.
I'm sorry your kitty is ill.

It seems freaky when you think about putting the needle in, so just think of it as a procedure with steps to follow. It isn't hard, it just seems foreign at first. Get everything set up ahead of time, packages partly opened so you don't have to struggle. Ask the vet if you can have a practice needle, and jab an orange a few times to get the feel. Your cat will feel great after the infusions. :)

Reactions: Dedalus and Tom L.
My cat Cybil is 18 and has kidney failure. We are attempting to keep her comfortable for her remaining days and she is going to require IV fluids as her sodium levels are through the roof (the vet doesn't understand how she is still here with the levels so high) and is very dehydrated.

:hug:

She's doing well, thank you. The second infusion went better than the first. She didn't even flinch when I inserted the needle. I was more nervous, given her crying out the first day, but this time I was more conscious of being gentle. I think the first time I was thinking, just insert it really quick. It actually works better going in a little more on the easy side. And who knows, maybe I just got lucky, lol.

It's hard to think of this being a long term thing, though. I would imagine the area is going to be sore after being poked for a few days. There's only so much room on the scruff of the neck to move the insertion point around. We'll see how the blood work is after ten days. They may say she only needs it every other day or so. :)

That's good news. :) It's also possible that if she wasn't used to you poking her with a needle, that first time came as something of an unpleasant surprise to her, and that's why she cried out in response. But now she knows you're going to be doing it again, and that you're trying to be as gentle and considerate as possible.

Reactions: Tom L. and KLS52
I haven't done it, but my sister has (or rather, my sister's husband). Roger Mudd (their cat) needed sub-Q fluids and they gave it to him every other day, I think. My sister would give him to her husband, who did the procedure. RM didn't like it so much, but I gather it wasn't horribly traumatic- my brother-in-law could do it by himself without help, once my sister had brought Roger over to him.

I would do it if necessary, but I had trouble even giving my cats and rabbits ear/eye drops, tooth brushing, etc.

Reactions: KLS52
I was able to do it myself today. I'm just a little bit proud of myself. But in all fairness Cybil deserves the credit. I wouldn't be so successful if she really tried to fight me.

I like that she looks better. Her eyes are clearer/brighter.

I was able to do it myself today. I'm just a little bit proud of myself. But in all fairness Cybil deserves the credit. I wouldn't be so successful if she really tried to fight me.

That must be a relief for you KLS. It is very positive news for both of you.

That's great. :)

Cybil had follow up blood work done and the results were very good. All of her levels that were high came down dramatically. So we are continuing the IV fluids. I think I am going to ask for a smaller needle. She still cries out briefly when I insert the needle. Maybe a smaller one won't hurt so bad. She is so good with sitting there once the fluids are going in that I can afford to have a smaller needle and have it take a little longer.

Oh yeah, and she gained 10 ounces. :)