TV & Film Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

FortyTwo

Custom Title
Reaction score
It's not that I didn't like this movie. It's just that it was SO completely different from the book. I know that was the intention but it just would have been so easy and so epic to make it EXACTLY like the book. The book's vampires were interesting, original, and surprisingly scientifically plausible. Everything was so well-researched that it was weirdly believable and made me want to read more stories in the same universe. The movie... was okay. The vampires in the movie can turn invisible at will and are prevented from killing each other by "one of God's little tricks". The movie also skips over gigantic chunks of history. And I don't even mean the unimportant stuff, because it's expected that they'll cut things. I mean, they left out his first girlfriend, and his entire relationship with his dad, and even his ASSASSINATION so they could insert other trivial things. By trivial things I mainly refer to the fact that this movie version of Abe is extremely, extremely opposed to slavery. The real Abe (and the book Abe) was morally against slavery, but was prepared to keep it legalized in certain parts if it meant keeping the nation together. The movie Abe fell to the typical interpretation of him being incredibly courageous and bold and entirely opposed to slavery at any cost. This was further enforced by the fact that they entirely ignored the main driving point behind the book - vampires are surviving in the U.S. because they abuse the slave trade for blood. This is completely brushed over in the movie, and instead we get things like Will, an imaginary black man who Lincoln stood up for in the past and who joins with him later. And then there was some subplot with silver and a train which didn't exist in the book at all, which brings me to the main good thing about the movie: THE ACTION SEQUENCES. That was the movie's main redeeming quality, and damn were the action scenes great.

I know this is kind of a random rant to be going on, but I just felt like I had to get that out. In conclusion, if you read the book and want to see the movie, go ahead, but be prepared for it to be entirely different than you expect (for better or worse). If you haven't read the book, then go ahead and see the movie, it's still good fun and is by no means a bad movie.

:lala: *doesn't read the paragraph, for fear of spoilers*

I will just say that I want to see this movie. And now I will skedaddle.
Bolt.gif

Reactions: Francesca_Bee