A vegan newbie

Emmamae

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi everyone

I have been a vegetarian for about 9 years and always thought I could never be vegan but recently saw the light and realised I can totally do this!! So far, I'm 3 weeks in and feeling really positive and happy! The only downside is the negativity from other people (inc my family unfortunately) but I'm trying to not let it bother me. I'm having fun trying lots of new recipes and feeling very smug inside!! :grinning::grinning:

Reactions: 1 person
Hi everyone

I have been a vegetarian for about 9 years and always thought I could never be vegan but recently saw the light and realised I can totally do this!! So far, I'm 3 weeks in and feeling really positive and happy! The only downside is the negativity from other people (inc my family unfortunately) but I'm trying to not let it bother me. I'm having fun trying lots of new recipes and feeling very smug inside!! :grinning::grinning:

Heyyy,

It makes me happy that you are feeling super positive about your transition into veganism, as I am also really early on in my vegan journey too!
I have noticed that people tend to (intentionally or unintentionally) almost attack your choice to not consume animal products or contribute to the issues (if you are doing this for ethical reasons)
I have found that having strong statistics and factual evidence has helped me overcome anyone's negative attempt to vocally disagree with your choice or to try to 'catch you out.' I have noticed that people have little to come back with when you are confident in your approach and answers to their comments or statements.

I am really glad I found this forum though, because like yourself, I do not have too many vegan influences in my life. What was it that made you decide to go vegan?

:)

Reactions: 1 person
Hi

I'm glad I found this forum too, it's nice to hear from people who feel the same as I do. Being vegetarian was an easy decision for me, but veganism always seemed like a totally impossible thing for me as I love cheese and eggs etc and found that I ate so much of it being vegetarian that I thought I couldn't live without it. I've been following the work that Peta does quite a lot recently, and I really began to think when they said things like animals aren't ours to eat, animals aren't ours to wear etc and I realised that being vegetarian is ok, but it still isn't really doing enough. Animals are still being treated inhumanely and cruelly and the more I looked into it, the more I was determined this was something I had to do. I think if only people would open their eyes and accept what is happening we could actually make a difference. Sadly, people are too happy to stick their heads in the sand but I am proud to say I'm not one of them any more :D

What about you? What made you decide to do it?

Reactions: bellaunicorno
I think that is awesome because changing your lifestyle is really difficult. For me i was pescatarian on and off for a few years (because i thought sea animals didn't matter) due to seeing documentaries and awful videos of how animals are treated. Then i saw a heartbreaking video of how a circus monkey was being treated and i literally instantly was like no more. I continued to research and educate myself as a vegetarian. I recently watched a speak by Gary Yourofsky and i cried so hard because of how bad the dairy and egg industry and i haven't questioned it since!
I think for me i need to be more creative in the kitchen, but going vegan at first can be overwhelming!