A texas vegan?

Kristyna

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
So I will start by saying that I feel really weird saying it. I'm a Texas girl through and through so this is a completely foreign topic to me.

I am a newbie. I am doing it for health reasons. I've had a problem with my thyroid since I was 10 or 11 and have been on medication since I was 12. I've had a lot of health issues bc of it.

I just recently had a daughter and am currently breastfeeding so it does pose a challenge bc her tummy is sensitive to a lot of vegetables right now.

While pregnant I had a complete and total aversion to ALL meat. Since giving birth I went back to eating a standard diet. I feel horrible and gross. I will be the first to admit that I LOVE cheese. So I was consuming.....a ton. Lately I've been consumed with the idea of going vegan. Even if it's for a month to cleanse my body. I'm 3 days in and I'm beginning to think this might be my new lifestyle.

I'm excited. I'm excited to feel healthy. True pure health.

I've been dieting since I was 12, bc my thyroid caused me to gain an excessive amount of weight that I feel I never truly lost. And if I have I gained it right back. I tried dieting pills, developed an eating disorder, exercised excessively. But it's never stuck.

This to me.... Doesn't feel like a diet. Or a phase. It feels real. A genuine change. Ironically my husband, who is a carnivore, is extremely supportive of my decision.

Overall this feels like the right step. And I look forward to this journey.

What's that big building off of Jackson? (looked up Bastrop on Maps)

Since you are interested in health benefits, I would like to recommend How Not To Die or Eat To Live. They are both pretty similar. So if you read one you may not want to bother with the other. They are books about versions of Vegan dieting. or maybe better described as versions of the Whole Food Plant-Based Diet. You can get either at the library. they both have a whole constellation of supplemental reading including a bunch of good cookbooks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kristyna
That's a gas station famously known as Buc-ee's

And thank you for the advice

Hello and welcome! I also have an under active thyroid. I was born with one. I take liquid thyroxine and thyroid supplements for my thyroid problems.