A place for U.S. political news?

Mischief

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Is there a place for U.S. political news that may not qualify for this thread (personally, I'm afraid of being insufficiently "highbrow") but doesn't meet the facepalm requirement of the other thread? Or should we just not bother posting anything between those two extremes?

Is there a place for U.S. political news that may not qualify for this thread (personally, I'm afraid of being insufficiently "highbrow") but doesn't meet the facepalm requirement of the other thread? Or should we just not bother posting anything between those two extremes?
Yes - that place is the 'General Discussion' forum. 'U.S. political news' is too broad for a single thread. Either start a new thread, or find an existing thread that fits with what you want to talk about. (Often a new thread is preferable, if you can't find a suitable existing thread on the couple first pages of the General Discussion forum.) You can also use the forum's search feature if there's anything specific you're looking for.

The 'highbrow' comment sounds a bit daft now, but it was mostly meant to help distinguish this thread from the Trump venting thread ("the Trumpocalypse").

Yes - that place is the 'General Discussion' forum. 'U.S. political news' is too broad for a single thread. Either start a new thread, or find an existing thread that fits with what you want to talk about. (Often a new thread is preferable, if you can't find a suitable existing thread on the couple first pages of the General Discussion forum.) You can also use the forum's search feature if there's anything specific you're looking for.

The 'highbrow' comment sounds a bit daft now, but it was mostly meant to help distinguish this thread from the Trump venting thread ("the Trumpocalypse").
Well, today we had the following:

Rex Tillerson's comments about how trump makes decisions, with trump's response about his former secretary of state;

the NYT' s lead story about undocumented workers at trump's golf club and how he treats them;

trump's appointment of a new ambassador to the UN and her qualifications (or total lack thereof);

trump's nomination of a new AG and what that may mean going forward, on a whole host of issues from the investigations of this administration to criminal justice reform to immigration issues;

new developments in the Manafort case;

new developments in the Cohen case;

the fact that the WH Chief of Staff and his president are no longer on speaking terms;

new development s in the U.S./China trade war;

etc.

If I start a new thread for everything, there will be a whole lot of new threads.

Well, today we had the following:

Rex Tillerson's comments about how trump makes decisions, with trump's response about his former secretary of state;

the NYT' s lead story about undocumented workers at trump's golf club and how he treats them;

trump's appointment of a new ambassador to the UN and her qualifications (or total lack thereof);

trump's nomination of a new AG and what that may mean going forward, on a whole host of issues from the investigations of this administration to criminal justice reform to immigration issues;

new developments in the Manafort case;

new developments in the Cohen case;

the fact that the WH Chief of Staff and his president are no longer on speaking terms;

new development s in the U.S./China trade war;

etc.

If I start a new thread for everything, there will be a whole lot of new threads.
Do you really have the energy to discuss all of that at the same time?

The Manafort and Cohen cases will probably fit here: US - Trump and associates' alleged collusion with Russia

How about a 'Chaos in the Trump White House' thread? That could capture Tillerson's comments, Trump no longer speaking to the WH Chief of Staff, and the high turn-over in WH roles etc ...

Don't be afraid to start new threads, if you think they can make good discussions.

Do you really have the energy to discuss all of that at the same time?

The Manafort and Cohen cases will probably fit here: US - Trump and associates' alleged collusion with Russia

How about a 'Chaos in the Trump White House' thread? That could capture Tillerson's comments, Trump no longer speaking to the WH Chief of Staff, and the high turn-over in WH roles etc ...

Don't be afraid to start new threads, if you think they can make good discussions.

I have been discussing all of the above, plus more, today in the political thread on the other discussion board that I mentioned in my other post.

The problem with starting all these new threads is that there are only a couple of people on here who are interested in politics (or in a number of other topics, for that matter), so you have a bunch of inactive threads, versus one active one. I think that the net result will be a reduction in total posts*, but of course it's your call.

*That's just based on my reaction. Today, I kept thinking, "someone might be interested in this, or this, or this...." , but not sure enough to bother creating a new thread.

Last edited:
I have been discussing all of the above, plus more, today in the political thread on the other discussion board that I mentioned in my other post.

The problem with starting all these new threads is that there are only a couple of people on here who are interested in politics (or in a number of other topics, for that matter), so you have a bunch of inactive threads, versus one active one. I think that the net result will be a reduction in total posts*, but of course it's your call.

*That's just based on my reaction. Today, I kept thinking, "someone might be interested in this, or this, or this...." , but not sure enough to bother creating a new thread.
It's not a problem if a handful of threads per day end up unanswered. A thread too many is better than too few. An unanswered thread shouldn't feel like a failure any more than a regular post that doesn't attract any responses.

I think we should pick the topic(s) most likely to engage other VVers, and make threads out of those topics. The other topics we'll just have to let go. And that's probably OK.

I think I see your point of view, but the result of following your approach would break with the intended format of Internet forums. We'll get a few mega-threads that are hard to follow, where good/useful posts are drowned in a flood of typically lesser well-written posts. These threads also don't rank well in search engines, so they don't have much value to us as content that could attract new visitors.