A Guide-How to Make Vegan Cheese

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15
@shyvas , I understand from people who have done that before that one way to get some of the required ingredients (specifically the cultures) is to simply buy a commercially available vegan camembert, e.g. from Cashewbert or a similar vendor. Then, take a small piece of the cheese you bought and blend it up with your cashews to start the fermentation.

I understand this company might be in reach for you (by mail order), not 100% sure if their cheeses are fermented the right way:

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
@shyvas , I understand from people who have done that before that one way to get some of the required ingredients (specifically the cultures) is to simply buy a commercially available vegan camembert, e.g. from Cashewbert or a similar vendor. Then, take a small piece of the cheese you bought and blend it up with your cashews to start the fermentation.

I understand this company might be in reach for you (by mail order), not 100% sure if their cheeses are fermented the right way:

@Andy_T Thanks for the tip. :up: It would seem like it's the same tip when making yogurts. However, UMV (French online store) which does sell these kind of soft cheeses is very expensive. Moreover, their P&P is also horrendous.

I will just have to see where I can buy the necessary ingredients as I really do miss cheese.

So ... this is the result of my first trial!

0D465F95-20B9-4019-9C2C-23BCCB0BD6A2.jpeg

I did it as I had theorized earlier in the thread ...

I bought an artisanal vegan Camembert (10 EUR for 125 grams) in a local shop, and did not eat all of it, but used the last 10% to start my own.
I blended the leftovers with 250 grams of soaked cashews, then used a dishcloth (did not have real cheesecloth) to drain the excess water and shape it roughly into a round shape, then had it dry in the fridge for 2 weeks. Another week wrapped in baking paper, and the result looks and tastes very nice.

The worst thing was to have the patience to wait, because at the beginning it did not look and smell at all promising. However, at some point in time, the runny cashew/water mixture somehow magically transformed into the consistency of Camembert cheese.

I have now also ordered the Cashewbert set that contains cheese molds, cheese cloth, and the cultures that can be used with cashews to make more batches of these nice cheeses.

Last edited:
It tastes very nice! It has a slightly sour/tangy aftertaste, but otherwise exactly as I remember a Camembert is supposed to taste.

The interesting thing is that when I tasted the leftovers about a week after blending it, it had a very strong sour taste (which had me worried), so maybe with further ripening it will move further from sour/tangy to sharp. I can prophecy right now that this piece will not last very long.

For anybody who's interested, here is more or less what I did:

Reactions: Mufflon and PTree15
It tastes very nice! It has a slightly sour/tangy aftertaste, but otherwise exactly as a Camembert is supposed to taste.

The interesting thing is that when I tasted the leftovers about a week after blending it, it had a very strong sour taste (which had me worried), so maybe with further ripening it will move further from sour/tangy to sharp.

I'm intrigued. It sure looks authentic. I must admit, cheese is the one thing I missed the most as a vegan. Nicely done!

After the success of my Camembert ventures, I have now moved on even further.

My first cashew-based Blue Cheese is maturing now.

9F7757CB-53A7-4F7E-8028-E55361854DE4.jpeg

I made it using the cultures (penicillium roquefortii) from German company "Cashewbert". Second week of maturing so far, looks good.

Reactions: Mufflon
That blue cheese looks great!

I've only gone as far as cashews, soy milk, and either a probiotic or soy yogurt. I think I liked the soy yogurt cultured better than the probiotic.
I've thought about ordering penicillin, carageenan, but pushed that thought aside. Maybe if I ever buy a 'good' cultured vegan cheese I'll try saving a piece to blend. I'm not that commited! o_O

Glad I saw this, I think I have cashews and sunflower seeds, think I'll do a mix and use a probiotic