A flexitarian diet

T

thinman

My wife and I are semi-vegetarian or can be called flexitarian but actually I prefer semi-vegetarian coz it leads more toward being vegetarian to vegan. I've mainly looked into vegan bodybuilding for help and advice but somehow the word vegetarian is more liked by me.

Flexitarians strive to eat mostly veggies and fruits, and hardly any meat.
A flexitarian/semi-vegetarian is an expression of vegetarianism.

tina-plantillas-yoga-fitness-1.jpg

In the past semi-vegetarian was someone who didn't consume meat but used other animal sources, namely fish.

Last edited:
Or halfway there vegetarian. These nomenclatures sure bring memories of the tortuous path between both.

I think all the definitions for different ways of eating are getting way out of hand, and meaningless
Why not just "mostly"? Even omnivores say things like 'mostly' eat chicken or whatever. A vegan can say 'mostly' eats plant based, will eat processed food every now and then.

I started off find with "plant based", then found so many people saying it still includes 'some' meat, dairy, or eggs! Or flexitarian--for too many it only means they're okay going without meat sometimes!

This is in no why a diss on you thinman, I can appreciate your stance.
I feel as if the meaning of vegan is getting lost among all these 'ways'. Like I read posts (elsewhere) from people on 'vegan diets' that refuse to acknowledge any thought to things other than food--in other words they're plant based, but like how 'vegan' sounds :fp:

I really like the term Flexitarian.
The definition is a haiku. how great is that?

eat food,
not too much,
mostly plants.

However, as far as definitions go - it's pretty vague. How much is "mostly?
90%? 80%? 66%?

Sometimes when I talk to an Omni and they say they are eating a lot less meat - it turns out they still eat some animal products every day.

I like it better when you use one of these labels and in one or two words it conveys a very specific description. Like vegan. or Vegetarian. although by reading that thread on Vegetarian, it looks like the meaning of that word has gotten very fuzzy around the edges.

It's sometimes hard to know what to say. I want to say I'm vegetarian because I do take D3 from lanolin sources, my good shoes are leather, and I really don't obsess over things like 'natural flavors' in things I rarely have, or dissect ingrediants in things I'm served if I know they don't have anything overt (like maybe theres egg in it, or a bit of a dairy ingrediant) To me, saying vegetarian is proper, but I usually say I'm 'mostly' vegan, because saying vegetarian people expect you to eat eggs or dairy

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52
@silva

I just call myself vegan. I'm not a perfect vegan but I don't think very many people are. but I want to be and try to be. and IMHO the most important thing about calling yourself a vegan is intent. Look at the definition. It has that "possible and practicable" clause.

The word vegan quickly and concisely describes to other people the important parts. I don't think anyone else is really that interested in the details. Even I'm not.

I have the same issue with "Mostly vegan" that I have with "mostly plants". "Mostly is just way too vague and non-specific. I just don't think we need that kind of qualification.

The word "strict vegetarian" covers a "vegan" who does not fully identify with or not fully abides by vegan philosophy.

Reactions: Lou
Vegan makes me think it's more of a cult and a fad for teenage girls, kind of OCD, Who cares if something has a speck of milk dust.

The name sounds a bit like that but twenty years ago the people I knew as vegans were mostly men, even though it seems today the majority are women. And could be pretty strict and ascetic too, even the ideas of having pets was rejected.

Flexitarian is a good summary of the term. you cant be a vegetarian if you eat meat or fish, similar to the fact that you cant call youself a vegan if you have the odd egg ... the terms are as is.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
The word "strict vegetarian" covers a "vegan" who does not fully identify with or not fully abides by vegan philosophy.
This is true--but i've never known anyone NOT in the veg circle of knowledge who understands that. When I say that to people they think it means 'a vegetarian who NEVER cheats and eats meat" :fp: :rofl:

Reactions: Lou
This is true--but i've never known anyone NOT in the veg circle of knowledge who understands that. When I say that to people they think it means 'a vegetarian who NEVER cheats and eats meat" :fp: :rofl:
There is no doubt that vegan is easier for people to convey and understand and most people today use it, and understand it, to mean the diet.

My folks split up when I was 5 and moved out with me mum and spent my teenage years in the slums of Salford England, we had meat but it was expensive for us and had very little. Every morning the milk man delivered a pint of milk to our doorstep, that was for 4 of us. Age 20 we emigrated to Canada, I was horrified by the food consumption and much meat. A world where people once ate in moderation are now gorging themselves with mass quantities.

129225350933489548_fcad2240-10de-4c96-950a-d20fe2264e99_120532_570.Jpeg

Reactions: fakei
We also had simlar deliveries as a kid... the truck would come at 6pm and take the empty bottles and leave full ones... i wish they would still do that... maybe a plant milk truck :) ...

Yeah well the mothers raped and babies killed were not mentioned ever of course nor osteoporosis and cancer from cow milk nor cost of government subsidies....I don't think a label name for diet is important...which animals and how many is more meaningful