Man-Machine 80s and early 90s Home Computer Discussion

Andy_T

Little green mod
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
We watched a documentary on Netflix about Atari Inc. and the search for the so- called "worst game of all time", i.e. Atari's version of E.T. which was supposedly so horrid they decided to bury the cartridges deep in a garbage dump in the desert. Quite entertaining. What I felt was definitely missing from the story was what happened to Atari after Atari Inc., namely the era of Atari Corp. which created an amazing home computer - the Atari ST, which was a force to be reckoned with in my teenage years. (I was more of a Commodore fan, though.)

Did that documentary also cover Jack Tramiel?
Quite the legend. He was the founder of Commodore, brought the PET, VIC-20 and C64 to the market (the most sold home computer in history) and later bought Atari after his falling out with Commodore investor and Chairman Gould to launch the ST computer.

Best regards,
Andy

Did that documentary also cover Jack Tramiel?
Quite the legend. He was the founder of Commodore, brought the PET, VIC-20 and C64 to the market (the most sold home computer in history) and later bought Atari after his falling out with Commodore investor and Chairman Gould to launch the ST computer.

Best regards,
Andy
No, it ended with the end of Atari Inc. so we didn't get to hear about that. (Under Tramiel it was called Atari Corp.) I was a hard-core C64 user for several years, so it would have been interesting to me if Tramiel had been included in the story as well.

I was a hard-core C64 user for several years

Me, too!
And I "graduated" to the Atari ST afterwards.

(So, had thought that you were younger, from the pictures you shared in the other threads ;-) That vegan lifestyle obviously keeps you young...)

Coooool :) I still listen to SID music and remakes a lot.
And I "graduated" to the Atari ST afterwards.
That would have been a serious matter back in the day in my school. Atari owners were in a distinct minority .... I can't actually remember anyone now that I think of it, but the computers in the school lab happened to be Atari ST 1040 machines. Mostly we were C64 and Amiga people.

(So, had thought that you were younger, from the pictures you shared in the other threads ;-) That vegan lifestyle obviously keeps you young...)
Well, I got my C64 in '88 (I was 12) and stuck with it until I got an 80386 25Mhz computer in '92 or so. So only 4 or 5 years, but they were formative years, so they count for more :)

Ah, the memory. I got my C64 in 1983 or 84 (bought it for about 500 EUR in today's money) and upgraded to the Atari in 1986.

Ah, the memory. I got my C64 in 1983 or 84 (bought it for about 500 EUR in today's money) and upgraded to the Atari in 1986.
Oh, you must have missed out on a lot of good stuff on the C64 then :) Must have been cool to be a pioneer, though.

Indian Summer, that might be so.

Where it really gets weird, is that I bought a used Macintosh for about EUR 3000 in current money together with some high school friends in 1987 to found a design company, as we wanted to publish a student newspaper and were totally amazed by the things you could do with Desktop Publishing.

Reactions: ledboots

Where it really gets weird, is that I bought a used Macintosh for about EUR 3000 in current money together with some high school friends in 1987 to found a design company, as we wanted to publish a student newspaper and were totally amazed by the things you could do with Desktop Publishing.
We had a Mac Plus back then and loved it so much. My husband kept adding external memory, etc for years. :)

ETA No longer an Apple fan. :)

Yea ledboots, my 2 highschool friends and myself also started with a Mac Plus, memory pushed to 2.5 MB and an incredible 70 MB (that is Megabytes, NOT Gigabytes) external hard disk drive. Later upgraded to a used MAC II and a Laserwriter II NT (which was the most expensive piece of hardware in our company at around EUR 7,000) so two people could work simultaneously on design (one on the colour/grayscale stuff like editing photos, the other on building the basic layout on the 512x342 pixel screen of the small mac).

We worked 70-hour weeks during our studies whenever we had a publishing deadline to complete the layout for some client's paper, typically student newspapers or the free advertisement stuff that gets filled into your mailbox weekly or monthly, or flyers or similar.

Indian Summer, thanks for creating that awesome thread!

As a sidenote.

I recently looked up a website dedicated to C 64 and C 64 games.
I was quite shocked, when I not only remembered nearly every single one of the games that were featured there, but also vividly recalled playing each of them for extended periods of time, to get to the end boss.

Archon! Arkanoid! Boulder Dash! Blue Max! Choplifter! Lode Runner! Pharaoh's Curse! Ultima! Dragonsden! Mail Order Monsters! G.I. Joe! Bruce Lee! Summer/Winter Games! Raid over Moscow! Uridium! Paradroid! Spy vs. Spy! 7 Cities of Gold! Ah, the memories...

It was a sad day, when my (compatible) Floppy disk drive died and I "had" to upgrade to the Atari, as investing some 500 EUR more in old technology would not have made so much sense.

I can not, for the life of me, guess how I could have gotten any meaningful work for my school done at that fateful time, somewhere between me being 12 and 18 or so. Of course, not having had facebook, online forums, a car, a girlfriend and so on might have helped.

Last edited:
The C64 games only got better and better. (The Last Ninja series of games are some of the finest.) And then there was the demo scene which really took off in the latter half of the 80s.

Oh, so you did useful things on the computer? :) Well, we were taught some desktop publishing on the Atari ST in school. I also taught myself, with help from friends, to program in BASIC and assembly language on the C64. It was amazing. But I never made any money from these activities.

Last edited:
I had Acorn computers. First an Acorn Electron, then a BBC Master and finally an Acorn Archimedes A3000 before moving to x86 systems running DOS, then Windows and Linux.

The Acorn machines were very capable but less popular than Sinclair and Commodore machines. They did have some great games including the Repton series which I loved and the orginal, and best ;), version of Elite. They also has an excellent implementaion of BASIC and on my Master I had a Logo ROM so I programmed in both of those languages which is probably partly responsible for my continued interest and career in IT today.

Although Acorn are no more it pleases me greatly that they live on through ARM and that the CPU in my phone is a direct decendant of the one in my A3000.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy_T
Archon! Arkanoid! Boulder Dash! Blue Max! Choplifter! Lode Runner! Pharaoh's Curse! Ultima! Dragonsden! Mail Order Monsters! G.I. Joe! Bruce Lee! Summer/Winter Games! Raid over Moscow! Uridium! Paradroid! Spy vs. Spy! 7 Cities of Gold! Ah, the memories...
I think I've played about 63% of those games :) The C64 had a crazy amount of games. I did "swapping" for a while, exchanging games with my contacts in faraway places through the mail. Good times.

One of my friends is still involved in the C64 scene. There is a C64 scene in 2015, you ask!? Indeed there is. That says something about the impact of that computer. Just saying. :)

We never got a computer in the '80s. I think our first computer was acquired in the early 90s, a 386, and I think it ran DOS. Only later was Windows 3.1 added. My dad bought it, and he basically taught me how to use a computer.

Most of this discussion is "pre-history" from the perspective of my personal experience. :)

We never got a computer in the '80s. I think our first computer was acquired in the early 90s, a 386, and I think it ran DOS. Only later was Windows 3.1 added. My dad bought it, and he basically taught me how to use a computer.

Most of this discussion is "pre-history" from the perspective of my personal experience. :)
My dad was an engineer who loved technology, and bought the first Mac that came out, then he bought me the Mac Plus awhile after.

Dad also had a calculator before anyone else I knew, too. It was huge, made byTexas Instruments, and worked for decades. :)

My dad was an engineer who loved technology, and bought the first Mac that came out, then he bought me the Mac Plus awhile after.

Dad also had a calculator before anyone else I knew, too. It was huge, made by Texas Instruments, and worked for decades. :)

Well, my dad had no expertise in computers or technology, except for what I am about to tell you. He got "laid off" from his job at age 64. But because he was not yet 65, he was eligible for the government "job retraining" programs available at the time. So he enrolled in a local community college, started taking computer courses, and bought a computer. (Just as a hobby.) I basically learned by looking over his shoulder and flipping through his community-college textbooks.

The courses he took were not on computer programming, but on really basic things like Introduction to DOS, spreadsheets (Lotus), and word processing (Word Perfect).

The spreadsheets course was particularly useful, because during the previous decade we had prepared dozens of spreadsheets manually (hand written) on those really old-fashioned columnar pads. :)

The Acorn machines were very capable but less popular than Sinclair and Commodore machines. They did have some great games including the Repton series which I loved and the orginal, and best ;), version of Elite.

How could I have forgotten about Elite?
I played that for a long time. Did not get to "Elite", however, only to "Deadly" (something like a "brown belt" rating in that game, quite advanced, but still a long way to go to the black belt)

I must say, the longest time when I had my C64, I only had the "Datasette" tape drive and was using "Turbo Tape", a quick loading program. I also was swapping software on a regular basis, I do remember these sessions together with my friends or with my cousin, when we would spend an afternoon in front of the C64, copying one of two tapes. That was the time, using a cassette drive and dreaming of getting a 170 KB floppy at some point in time.

I later finally got my disk drive, but not the standard "breadbox" 1541 unit, no, instead I got a beautiful, slim-line compatible unit that did not take up so much space on my desk and was also a bit cheaper than the original one. Unfortunately, it was not very reliable, and when it died after half a year, the company where I had bought it did not have any new ones, but they offered me to get instead a compatible 3.5" floppy that would work with the Atari ST.

I had been eyeing the Atari for some time, partly because of Jack Tramiel's legacy, partly because the Amiga, which is what every C64 user REALLY wanted, was totally unaffordable. The "C 128", the designated successor of the 64, had turned out to be a huge disappointment, as it was not any faster or had much better graphics than the C64, it only had double the memory space, slightly better resolution (80 characters on the screen) and a rather-not-very-usable additional "professional" CP/M operating system.

The only thing that REALLY sucked was that I was thus losing all my progress on Ultima II on the C64... one of those "floppy only" games.

So ... having revisited my memories on Elite, I found out that there is a very recent successor, called Elite: Dangerous. Sounds very interesting, definitely something to check out.

Pity it's an online only game. I was always quite fond of games that offer single-player versions on my own laptop, especially when I was still working as a consultant and spending most of my week away from home, with no reliable/affordable online access in most hotels where I spent my week. Was very happy to have Command and Conquer, Ultima, Counterstrike or some other long-story game on my laptop that had an offline mode and did not require online connections. Of course, in the time when I was home with my family (and a good internet connection), sitting down with a computer game for some hours would have been considered unacceptable behaviour.

Last edited: