Animal Advocacy 8 Cruelest Foods You Eat - Yahoo posted something worthwhile for once

Werewolf Girl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nutrition/photos/8-cruelest-foods-you-eat#0

By the time that cheeseburger arrives on your plate, it's hard to think about anything but how tasty it'll be. But when you trace the origins of each ingredient--the beef, the fried egg, the splurge-worthy bacon--some uncomfortable truths emerge.
That we're uneasy about the origins of our food is no surprise. After all, in our shrink-wrapped, pre-cooked, fast-food world, it's easy to ignore. Fortunately, though, awareness is growing where it matters: Big Food. In just this year alone, shocking cases of documented animal abuse have persuaded many of the biggest meat purchasers--McDonald's, Burger King, and Subway--to make their chains more humane.
Still, we're a long way off from feeling good about what's for dinner, whether it's beef, chicken, or even eggs. Join us as we check in with the8 Cruelest Foods You Eat--plus, what's being done about them, and what to eat in the meantime.

Veg*n diets must be going mainstream if this is on Yahoo, I usually consider that site pretty bottom of the barrel. This is awesome though! So many meat eaters will see this. :broccoli:

Edit: Also I'm not sure if I posted this in the right forum now that I think about it. Mods feel free to move it if you want.

I agree, it's encouraging to see a site like Yahoo posting this article. A lot of the foods they discuss are considered mainstream foods, and hopefully lots of meat eaters will learn some inconvenient truths here.

(I've moved the thread to Animal Activism & Advocacy.)

Reactions: thefadedone
I saw this on FB...very cool, getting the message out there. :)

They should have included chickens (not just eggs). Besides that, great article.
True, although with the eggs entry, they talk about how it's the chickens that are treated badly. At the very least, they could have mentioned the chickens being a cruel food along with the eggs.

I consider eggs to be crueler than chicken consumption in the same way I consider dairy to be crueler than beef consumption.

Erm...Am I the only one who thought this was weird:

What to eat instead: Nosh sustainable, ethically caught shellfish, though it sounds simpler to find than it is. (Origins can be fishy, so check out our feature on how to choose the best shrimp.

What to eat instead: Pretty much anything under the sun, but you might want to start with a seafood bisque

I thought it was an 'animal lovers/vegan' article??

I agree, it's encouraging to see a site like Yahoo posting this article. A lot of the foods they discuss are considered mainstream foods, and hopefully lots of meat eaters will learn some inconvenient truths here.

(I've moved the thread to Animal Activism & Advocacy.)

:yes: I'm still amazed and disgusted at how common veal is here. I can't open a grocery store sales flyer without seeing ads for specials of various veal items in their meat departments. Can't go into a pizza place or restaurant without seeing some sort of veal dish.

:yes: I'm still amazed and disgusted at how common veal is here. I can't open a grocery store sales flyer without seeing ads for specials of various veal items in their meat departments. Can't go into a pizza place or restaurant without seeing some sort of veal dish.

Same here ! When you know the amount of distress it causes to the poor cow and her baby, it is appalling !!!