Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
7 Mythical Creatures That Were Inspired by Real Animals

3030909.large.jpg

Throughout human history, different cultures have turned to myth to explain their observations of the natural world. Sometimes when encountering strange new animals or buried fossils, this impulse to explain their surroundings could get a little out of hand and the stories could get, well…a little bit exaggerated.

Over the years, paleontologists, historians and anthropologists have worked to uncover the origins of these stories. Today we tackle seven creatures you’ve probably heard about in fairytales, folklore and epic fantasy — and explore the fascinating truth behind the myth.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/7-mythical-creatures-that-were-inspired-by-real-animals.html#ixzz2aqOH9Kty
When I was a kid, one of my favorite books was Alice in Wonderland. I loved the Gryphon, especially Tenniel's rendition:
images
There have been a lot of depressing news stories lately, so I thought we could all use something fun for a change. :p

Reactions: ledboots and KLS52
My favourite mythical animal is the unicorn :

6035816980_f62f233ee9.jpg

... interesting to know that the mermaid was thought to have been invented by delusional sailors !:D

My favourite mythical animal is the unicorn :

6035816980_f62f233ee9.jpg

... interesting to know that the mermaid was thought to have been invented by delusional sailors !:D
I love unicorns,too. :)

The manatee, lots of which are in the waters near me,are thought to have spured some very lonely sailors to see them as mermaids. :D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375636076736.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375636076736.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 202