6 Months and counting

Dee85

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello everyone,

My name is Dee I have been vegan for 6 months now. What changed? Well I felt tired all the time, I noticed swelling on my ankles. I was becoming over weight and not even noticing. I thought my clothes were shrinking in the dryer (don't laugh) ok I even laugh at that one lol. I knew something was wrong. I saw my doc, my blood pressure was slightly elevated but not dangerous, my cholesterol was a point away from high and well yes I was overweight. Doc said this was the best time to make a change. She offered a plant based diet for a week (its a meal plan they provide that comes with vitamins and other things to help you through what they call prolonged fast with food) I did the week and felt amazing and thought this cant just end here. I did research and decided to try vegan and here I am. I'm loving every second I ve never felt this great, this alive ❤ sorry post is this long, I do not know any other vegans so don't have anyone to share with. Everyone I know just thinks I'm nuts..life without cheese and meat..omg no way!! Lol

Oh. I hadn't noticed you live in Ft Lauderdale. My parents lived there for a while. I remember this bridge that went over a canal, maybe it was close to a power plant, and the water in the canal was warmer than the ocean. you could look over the edge of the bridge and see all kinds of fish. these really bit parrot fish too.

have you been there? Is it still there? Can you take some pics?
:)

Hello everyone,

My name is Dee I have been vegan for 6 months now. What changed? Well I felt tired all the time, I noticed swelling on my ankles. I was becoming over weight and not even noticing. I thought my clothes were shrinking in the dryer (don't laugh) ok I even laugh at that one lol. I knew something was wrong. I saw my doc, my blood pressure was slightly elevated but not dangerous, my cholesterol was a point away from high and well yes I was overweight. Doc said this was the best time to make a change. She offered a plant based diet for a week (its a meal plan they provide that comes with vitamins and other things to help you through what they call prolonged fast with food) I did the week and felt amazing and thought this cant just end here. I did research and decided to try vegan and here I am. I'm loving every second I ve never felt this great, this alive ❤ sorry post is this long, I do not know any other vegans so don't have anyone to share with. Everyone I know just thinks I'm nuts..life without cheese and meat..omg no way!! Lol

Hi Dee, and welcome!

There are several vegan Meetup groups in Fort Lauderdale: Vegan groups in Fort Lauderdale - Meetup

Oh. I hadn't noticed you live in Ft Lauderdale. My parents lived there for a while. I remember this bridge that went over a canal, maybe it was close to a power plant, and the water in the canal was warmer than the ocean. you could look over the edge of the bridge and see all kinds of fish. these really bit parrot fish too.

have you been there? Is it still there? Can you take some pics?
:)
Hi Lou!

I wish I knew exactly where this was so that I can send you pictures. Ft.Lauderdale is pretty big, maybe if you can give me some more details I would gladly share pics :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Hi Lou!

I wish I knew exactly where this was so that I can send you pictures. Ft.Lauderdale is pretty big, maybe if you can give me some more details I would gladly share pics :)

This was maybe 30 years ago so i can't be sure it would even be there. But at the time it was very popular with the locals. I remember a bridge over a canal and I remember being told the water was extra warm from the output of a power plant.

checking google maps, my best guess is that its the bridge from Eller Drive to the Sheriff's station next to Marinelli park.

Merry meet!
And congratulations for your success.
This is a great community where no-one thinks that you are crazy for not eating dead animals and their secretions. ;)

congrats @Dee85

Welcome to the forum, you have good friends here to support you on your journey.

We look forward to your contributions and feel free to ask any questions you like.

Emma JC
Thank you Emma!

So glad I found this forum ❤ the questions will come as I am very new to this. 😉

Reactions: Emma JC
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on 6 months.

PS: Your post indicates health was a primary motivating factor. Don't ever let anyone say you're "plant based" or something other than vegan based on a motive that is self interested. If human/animal welfare, environment or any other reason becomes an additional reason to stay vegan, great. You're still vegan whatever the reason(s) provided you don't eat animal products. I suggest reading through people's posts prior to taking their advice, as there are several people on this forum claiming to be vegan but aren't - and these people will confuse you with double minded posts and/or flattery.

Reactions: Dee85