5 Things You Didn't Know About Pistachios

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Yum, now I want some pistachios. :lick:
Move over, almonds and walnuts, there's a new superstar nut in town! With the California pistachio industry making a big push to turn more Americans on to the wonders of the creamy, buttery, heart-healthy nut (even Snoop Lion is on board, as well as Psy); worldwide consumption of pistachios skyrocketing (with China now the leading importer); and chefs using pistachios in ever more ambitious ways, it seems this humble tree nut is enjoying its moment in the sun. Here, five things you should know about the pistachio, plus loads of sweet and savory recipes:...

5 Things You Didn't Know About Pistachios

Pistachios are not my absolute favorite nut, but I do like them. I sometimes get a bag of them for when I run out of pumpkin seeds. And Snoop Lion and Psy aren't the only celebrities hawking the cute little green nut; Stephen Colbert has done some nifty TV commercials for Wonderful Pistachios. I just watched a couple of them today. The nice thing about pistachios is that they can be found everywhere, they're not expensive, and there are always coupons available for Wonderful Pistachios, which makes them, well, wonderfully affordable.

I love pistachios. ❤

Not expensive? They are here! At least I feel like they are. :(

Reactions: ledboots
Not sure I remember what they taste like on their own, but I definitely don't like the taste of them in ice cream.... Is there vegan ice cream with pistachio flavour? If not, then my bad memories of pistachio flavoured ice cream go back more than a decade!

I'm sure it's nutritionally sound and everything tho.

I love pistachios. ❤

Well, I guess I was comparing them to macadamia nuts, which ARE expensive. Maybe it's a regional thing. Here in Southern California, they're pretty cheap.

I was just thinking the same thing. Here in NH they are easily $1 an ounce for the shelled ones. You can get them for about $0.50/ounce with the shells on but then half the weight is the shells you are throwing away. $16/lb is steep for nuts, so I only buy them on rare occasions and I'm always on the look out for them on sale.

Reactions: KLS52
I was just thinking the same thing. Here in NH they are easily $1 an ounce for the shelled ones. You can get them for about $0.50/ounce with the shells on but then half the weight is the shells you are throwing away. $16/lb is steep for nuts, so I only buy them on rare occasions and I'm always on the look out for them on sale.
This. I rarely buy them because they are so expensive. I really do love them, though.

I've started having a handful of pistachios a day as I read they may lower blood pressure. They seem like they are good for a lot of health related things and they taste delicious.:)

I bought some this morning from the cafeteria at work. I will have them for a snack later. They are pricey, but I love them, so I treated myself. :)

My son got me hooked on adding them to my salad. [emoji45]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PTree15
I love pistachios. ❤

They are expensive! I do like them though. The local hardware store has some (oddly enough) and they have different flavored ones. I like the chile lime ones the most.