5 Egg Substitutes you can use for baking

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
My personal favorite is ground flaxseeds, I seem to have the best luck using them. I'm going to have to try the mashed potatoes sometime, that has me curious.

Veganizing most traditional baking recipes is a cinch as long as you know a few key substitutions. For a butter substitute, there's vegan margarine. For dairy milk, there's soy milk, almond milk, or other nondairy milks. Those are easy, but how do you replace eggs?
The substitute you choose depends on the recipe, and luckily, you might already have many of these ingredients in your kitchen. Longtime vegans might be familiar with a couple of the items on this list, but there are a few surprises, too.
Here are five surprising egg substitutes that you can use to veganize recipes:

http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/egg-substitutes.aspx

I like flax seed, too. I usually do flax and enerG, especially in cookies or pancakes.

Yes. I imagine it would just taste like vinegar...
I used banana once and the thats all I could taste in the cake even though it had almond extract in it...

It's like a teaspoon of vinegar (I use the cider kind) to a half-pint of soy milk, it doesn't come through at all in the taste. Just curdles the milk enough to create a sticky binding agent :)

I've made a lot of recipes with vinegar and baking soda, never tasted sour to me.

Diet soda? o_O

Ive done that! with full sugar though because i like sugar. Cherry coke cake is nice, so is cherry tango cake, and 7up cake. I read it years ago as a diet tip in a magazine, and just saw the vegan potential.

Ive never found applesauce to be successful : (

Yes. I imagine it would just taste like vinegar...
I used banana once and the thats all I could taste in the cake even though it had almond extract in it...

I've noticed that the riper the banana is, the stronger the banana flavor ends up being.

I've made a lot of recipes with vinegar and baking soda, never tasted sour to me.

Same. I don't taste it at all. I always thought it was a replacement for buttermilk. I use this along with a flax egg for cornbread and muffins, and have several cake and cupcake recipes that call for it as well.

Cool. I may try the milk and vinegar combo :)

Anyone have a good plain cake recipe to use it with? I only have chocolate cake recipes!

I have a packaged gingerbread cake mix that I want to make. The instructions call for one egg. What would be the best substitute to make it vegan? I could go with plain old Egg Replacer, but would applesauce or banana be better? If so, how much would I use? An internet search said one mashed banana or one tablespoon of applesauce, but that's a HUGE difference in volume. I'm confused, help!

Cool. I may try the milk and vinegar combo :)

Anyone have a good plain cake recipe to use it with? I only have chocolate cake recipes!

Rose Elliot has a really good vegan Victoria sponge recipe in here Fast, Fresh and Fabulous cookbook. :)

I have a packaged gingerbread cake mix that I want to make. The instructions call for one egg. What would be the best substitute to make it vegan? I could go with plain old Egg Replacer, but would applesauce or banana be better? If so, how much would I use? An internet search said one mashed banana or one tablespoon of applesauce, but that's a HUGE difference in volume. I'm confused, help!

Whip 1/4 cup of silken tofu. It'll make a dense moist cake.

I would probably compromise and go with the EnerG and 1/2 of a banana. But then I almost never follow recipes exactly. Something about banana and gingerbread that sounds really good to me!

I am a food entrepreneur trying to develop a new line of vegan egg substitutes..

I would appreciate it if anyone/everyone took this short survey about egg substitutes! Thank you!
Egg Substitutes Survey