3D-printed meat-free steak

Blues

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Novameat develops 3D-printed meat-free steak from plant-based proteins

Italian bioengineer Giuseppe Scionti from Spanish startup Novameat has invented the "world's first" 3D-printed meat-free steak made from vegetable proteins, which mimics the texture of beef.

Vegan ingredients such as rice, peas and seaweed, which provide the amino acids needed for a healthy diet, are turned into a food paste that is 3D-printed to form a raw, steak-like substance.

Despite an abundance of meat-free products already on the market that taste similar to animal meats, Scionti found that these are limited to imitation burgers, chicken nuggets or meatballs. None of the offerings reproduce a piece of "fibrous flesh" such as steak or chicken breast.

In an effort to reduce the impact of animal agriculture and to improve people's nutrition, the Milanese researcher set out to create a plant-based alternative to "fleshy" meat products.

Very interesting!

I have to say that, when I first went vegetarian, what I missed the most was the chewiness of meat. The only thing that comes halfway close are some of the hearty breads.

Anything that helps promote plant based food is good news. Perhaps this company is trying to win over meat lovers due to it's 'fleshy' meat products.
How many times have I heard the argument '' I can't give up meat because it tastes so good''. :(

How many times have I heard the argument '' I can't give up meat because it tastes so good''. :(

That is a good point, personally, I can't stand the sight, smell or taste of meat, but I know plenty who would at least give it a go if plant based meat had similar taste and texture.

Reactions: Val
Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I've been very happy with the meat substitutes I've had- especially burgers. More recently, I tried Gardein's "Fishless Filets", and they were very good, although more expensive than real fish. I also didn't like the fact that they were in a plastic pouch, although I tried to wash it out and use it for something else since it has a sort of zip-lock seal...

Reactions: Val