28 Fruits And Vegetables That You Had No Idea Grew Like That

That's fun. I knew them, but I work with food and stuff. Some aren't... quite accurate. Like the celery is bolted, that's not what the celery we eat looks like as it's growing if it's harvested before it bolts. But it will turn into if left to it's own devices. Same with the leeks, they only flower if they aren't harvested for consumption - and their flowers are like all onion flowers, so they all have those pretty flowers (and they are lovely).

But I like things like that because people can learn about their food and be entertained!

Reactions: Mischief
I've watched some programs about food and vegetables, so many of them weren't all that surprising for me.

That's fun. I knew them, but I work with food and stuff. Some aren't... quite accurate. Like the celery is bolted, that's not what the celery we eat looks like as it's growing if it's harvested before it bolts.

Came here to say that. The arugala looks freshly sprouted as well, it's nowhere near harvesting size.

Came here to say that. The arugala looks freshly sprouted as well, it's nowhere near harvesting size.

Here we disagree, cause I like baby arugula more than adult, like baby spinach. :yes: But it's certainly more economical to grow it longer, for space reasons. :shrug: Besides, arugula grows like gangbusters so it's full grown in no time flat!

Here we disagree, cause I like baby arugula more than adult, like baby spinach. :yes: But it's certainly more economical to grow it longer, for space reasons. :shrug: Besides, arugula grows like gangbusters so it's full grown in no time flat!

I'm just lazy - as baby, it's too close to the ground, and it's a pain cleaning the mud off the leaves.

I knew about most of those, except for arugula... and I didn't know leeks had that color flower.

That fruit that the cashew nut hangs from is edible, and is eaten where cashews are grown, but it doesn't ship well so we never see it for sale in colder areas. But yeah- the fluid around the cashew in that capsule can do nasty things to you if you get it on you. I don't think it's acidic, actually- the cahew is in the same family as poison ivy, and that fluid is a strong irritant.

Quite a few vegetable grow underground ; white asparagus and chicory are two of them.

s_u13_35739139.jpg

Reactions: ledboots