27 Foods You Should Never Buy Again

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I thought this article was interesting. http://www.rd.com/slideshows/15-foo...uy-again/?trkid=outbrain-all#slideshow=slide1

1. Keep in mind that this article is aimed mainly at omnis.

2. I agree that some foods they mention should never be bought ever again.

3. I'm a big believer in moderation - I think some foods are okay if consumed in moderation.

4. I disagree with their assessment on a couple of things. There are some bottled teas; for example, Tejava Tea (microbrewed and sold by Crystal Geyser), and certain flavors of Honest Tea (a wholly owned subsidiary of The Coca-Cola Company), that are completely unsweetened. If you buy any bottled teas, you should aim for those. Other than that, I agree that it's healthier and more economical to make your own and keep in a reusable bottle.

5. I agree that it's more expensive and harder on the environment to buy bottled water than to bottle your tap water, either filtered or unfiltered. But personally, I'd rather see people walking around carrying and drinking bottled water than most of the unhealthy drinks that are sold nowadays, such as Coke or Pepsi or Red Bull.

I disagree on the trail mix. I think if I put in all the things I usually want in it, it would cost more than $10 a pound. My trail mix isn't that expensive anyway. :D
As for the water, I agree with the article. It's just as easy to buy one of those Britta or Pur containers with a filter and keep it in the fridge and use a water bottle. My tap water tastes nasty, so I got the Pur container (cheaper than Britta) and it works great. Granted, the filters are not environmentally friendly, either, but you use far less of them than buying a case of water every other week.

Stick to a cup of coffee for your afternoon boost. Seemingly harmless caffeinated beverages are often sugar bombs—and the FDA has received numerous reports linking brands like 5 Hour Energy and Monster Energy to heart attacks, convulsion, and even death.

Energy and premature death?

Seems like I struck a sweet deal.

Where I live you will be treated like a pariah if you are seen consuming water from a store-bought bottle. They are an environmental disaster and way over-priced to boot. Plus, a certain company I won't name has come under intense public scrutiny for their underhanded attempts to establish local operations to essentially steal our water and sell it back to us at $1.59 a pint. 'Nuff said.

I pretty much agree with most the rest; packaged foods are generally more expensive than making it yourself, but there are tradeoffs. As a single parent working full time, I don't have much time to shop and prepare food. They are still generally cheaper than getting food from a restaurant. My main concern is the amount of sodium and sugar they contain, so I am an avid label reader.

Last year I became alarmed when I gained 10 pounds in a few months for seemingly no explainable reason. Turns out I had started drinking a brand of tea and had misread the label. It said it had 15 grams of sugar, but I hadn't read the serving size. That was for an 8-ounce serving and this was a 24 oz can, so actually 45 grams of sugar! And I was consuming a couple of them a day. I quit those and without any other changes to my diet, lost the 10 pounds over 6 months.

Reactions: PTree15 and Amy SF
Ah this article has me torn. On one hand, I agree with (most) of their reasoning, many of the foods are over-priced or unhealthy food masquerading as healthy by using words like "low fat" and padding out with sugar... but I disagree with the tone. It's just a little thing, but there's so much emphasis on healthy eating these days that somewhere along the way it became acceptable to make people feel small because they like unhealthy or convenient food.

This article isn't particularly bad or anything, but it's just something which annoys me! Things you "shouldn't" do are things that are immoral, or unkind... not eating white rice.

#4, cautioning against multigrain bread ends with "Better yet, forgo the bread and enjoy straight-up barley, brown rice, quinoa, or steel cut oats."

But then #5, cautioning against low-fat peanut butter ends with "Instead, spread regular peanut butter on your sandwich..."

Yes, I'll just spread that peanut butter on some oats or quinoa. :rolleyes:

#4, cautioning against multigrain bread ends with "Better yet, forgo the bread and enjoy straight-up barley, brown rice, quinoa, or steel cut oats."

But then #5, cautioning against low-fat peanut butter ends with "Instead, spread regular peanut butter on your sandwich..."

LOL!

I buy bottled water. The water in my city is gross. It often tastes like fish, chlorine or a combination of the two. I recycle the bottles. Last I heard you can't recycle disposable diapers, and yet there's no push to get rid of those.

I buy bottled water. The water in my city is gross. It often tastes like fish, chlorine or a combination of the two. I recycle the bottles. Last I heard you can't recycle disposable diapers, and yet there's no push to get rid of those.

It's good that you recycle them. I've read concerns about the amount of fossil fuels and energy used to produce them in the first place. And the fact that most people don't recycle them even in this day and age. An alternative is to use a water filter to filter the tap water and put it in a permanent container (what I do). That's basically what's going into the bottle anyway.

There is one time when I will purchase them: when I'm flying, which I do often. I used to bring an empty sports bottle and fill it up after passing through security but one time I forgot to empty it and got busted by TSA, almost missing my flight (life in the USA in the 21st century, sigh). So now I figure 'screw it' and just buy a bottle from the newsstand at the gate. And recycle it afterward, of course.

There are efforts to get rid of disposable diapers. The latest trend is to not use diapers at all and potty train at a very early age. Probably a discussion for a different thread, though...

Reactions: PTree15
I have a filter on my faucet. The water tastes fine to me.

I did, however, recently buy a twelve-pack of one-liter Smart water. I just want the empty bottles around in case of a hot weather emergency, I can freeze water in them to cool off the rabbits.

I've eaten oatmeal with a scoop of p.b. mixed in. But I'm weird like that. :p

Count me among the weird. I eat PB in oatmeal too.

However, I'm not giving up jarred spaghetti sauce. I don't have the time or desire to make it from scratch. :p

Reactions: ledboots
Oh, yeah, but would you roll a glob of nut butter in quinoa and call it a sandwich?

(Further along, one of the foods to avoid was pre made sandwiches, and it advised to make your own instead. It didn't mention oats or barley or whatever as a bread substitute, though.)

I totally agree with the article except for the bottled passata. You can buy inexpensive tomato sauce if you shop around. It is a must for store a cupboard item for an emergency or when you don't have time to cook.

I never buy bottled water let alone tea or coffee. I really don't see the point in buying things that you can make at home. Water filter aren't very expensive and cheaper than buying bottled water.

You have to read the ingredients list on granary style breads as some of them are just coloured white bread with added grains ! Yes, you have to be a cautious shopper....;)

Oh, yeah, but would you roll a glob of nut butter in quinoa and call it a sandwich?

(Further along, one of the foods to avoid was pre made sandwiches, and it advised to make your own instead. It didn't mention oats or barley or whatever as a bread substitute, though.)

Yeah no. Bread is a necessity for me at least. Gotta have the goods to make sandwiches and toast, you know?
I get the sprouted grain loafs mostly because they are delicious, but I guess they're good for you, too.

Yeah, we veg*ans are more accustomed than most shoppers to scrutinizing labels thoroughly, but the fact that a lot of "multigrain" bread is actually white bread with just a little bit of other grains sprinkled in was kind of an eye opener for me because I buy most of my bread in health food stores which apparently don't seem to exist for this article's writer. Multigrain breads in HFS really are multigrain. When I'm looking at breads in mainstream markets, all or almost all of them have chemicals and preservatives listed. When I buy bread in a mainstream store, I tend to go for the occasional bread without the preservatives, which might be "multigrain" the way the article writer describes it. There's one or two of those in Target. I prefer to get my bread in the HFS but hate having to make a special trip just for one or two items when I'm doing most of my shopping elsewhere.