UK 22 Dead - Manchester Terror Attack

I heard about this before I went to bed last night. I just woke up and you know when you have that few seconds when you wake up and you forget what you were worried about. It was apparently a suicide bomber. Now 22 dead, 59 injured.

Nineteen killed in suspected suicide attack at Ariana Grande concert in Britain | Reuters

Prime Minister Theresa May said the incident was being treated as a terrorist attack. If confirmed, it would be the deadliest militant assault in Britain since four British Muslims killed 52 people in suicide bombings on London's transport system in July 2005.

Last edited:
Terrible. I saw it on FB, just after you (Moll) mentioned that something was going on in Manchester. So sorry.

Deliberately targeting children. Someone online was saying that their 15 year old was going to a concert tonight and they don't know whether to stop her from going. I know people say you have to carry on as usual, but it's easier said than done.

It was the worst ever terror attack in the north of England.Theresa May describes Manchester bomb as worst ever terror attack to hit Northern England | Metro News

I totally agree. I also think that it's easier to make a decision when you're an adult but more difficult when it's for a youngster.

It's horrible.

But what to do about these attacks? Carry on as usual and hope they go away or that the police will be able to prevent them all? It doesn't seem like an adequate response.

The last 24 hours have been horrendous - from going to bed last night knowing that something had happened (at the time, there were reports that a prop had malfunctioned at the gig and injured a couple of people), to waking up to a phone full of messages from friends and family and wondering what in the hell actually went on, to finding out and being filled with rage and panic and heartbreak... it's been emotional for everyone who lives here. And then today, there have been more and more reports of other incidents (possibly connected, possibly not) - they've evacuated a shopping centre, put a hospital on lockdown, stopped public transport, made several controlled explosions of other suspected devices, and made dozens of arrests across the city.

But people aren't running scared, staying in, locking their doors - they're outside, helping total strangers. People handing out food and cups of tea, people donating blood, people helping reunite lost people with their families, people offering lifts and spare rooms, donating their skills and time and money in any way that they can - just people, everywhere, coming together and supporting each other and holding a huge middle finger up to the kind of hatred that causes these attacks.

I love this city so damn much, and I'm so proud of it and its people.

"This is Manchester. We do things differently here." - Tony Wilson

It's getting a lot of coverage here. I watched all during dinner last night. I was crying along with everyone who was being interviewed. One mom, in particular, keeps being shown. She's still looking for her daughter. It's unimaginable to me.

Yes, it is indeed a horrible and heinous attack.

The question "What to do" is very valid.

I had only yesterday a colleague ask me "So why do European countries not change their refugee policies, now?", and I have seen requests (on US right-wing media) to finally impose a travel ban on Muslims, because of this.

Of course, any such measure would not have made any change to the case in question (as the alleged attacker is British), nor would IMO - in the hypothetical case if the attacker had been a refugee - imposing stricter controls likely have helped to stop the attack.

Also, Western countries changing their refugee/travel policies is EXACTLY what ISIS wants to achieve.

Of course, any such measure would not have made any change to the case in question (as the alleged attacker is British), nor would IMO - in the hypothetical case if the attacker had been a refugee - imposing stricter controls likely have helped to stop the attack.
Yes, the attacker was born in Manchester, but his parents came to the UK from Libya, presumably as refugees.

Intentional or not, this will benefit the Conservative party in the election. When fear strikes, people tend to rally around the country's leadership. Also, the terror attack itself has disrupted the election campaigning and is taking focus away from important issues like housing and the NHS.

It's horrible.

There are no words to describe when these cowardly, monsters kill innocent children.

But what to do about these attacks? Carry on as usual and hope they go away or that the police will be able to prevent them all? It doesn't seem like an adequate response.

It's mainly the police and government officials that say that the population has to carry on as usual. Ask most people and they are frightened when they have to go about their everyday lives when travelling or going to crowded places.

Citizens should be demanding the government to do something more than making these kind of meaningless statements.

We also do need stricter mesures of controlling who has travelled to and come back from certain middle eastern countries where there are many niches of terrorists.

Intentional or not, this will benefit the Conservative party in the election. When fear strikes, people tend to rally around the country's leadership. Also, the terror attack itself has disrupted the election campaigning and is taking focus away from important issues like housing and the NHS.

It has nothing to do with the future election. It is the Terrorism Analyse Centre that decides what level is defined. Unfortunately if it has reached the Critical level it means that the agencies are expecting another imminent terrorist attack.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what my friend will do next month as she has tickets to see Adele in London. I wonder if they will even proceed with it or if they will cancel the concert.

This is beyond awful. AF, Moll and all of you in the U.K., my thoughts are with you. Many hugs to you.

It's mainly the police and government officials that say that the population has to carry on as usual.
Yes, that is what I meant. It's not so different from the situation with mass shootings in the US, where the Congress majority will only offer "prayers and thoughts" to the victims and their families, and is refusing to do anything meaningful about the elephant in the room, namely the lack of gun control laws.