US 20% of households buy veg meats

David3

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Per Food Business News, almost 20% of United States households purchase plant-based meat alternatives.

"Plant-based meat alternative buyers skew to millennials and Gen X households with higher incomes, according to IRI. The millennials often have higher incomes and are African American or Asian."

Link: Sustainability may raise ceiling for plant-based meat alternatives

I'm definitely not apart of that higher income, just have bad spending habits. I enjoy vegan meat so the price won't stop me. I guess this is why people wean themselves off it, but I don't want to do that. That would kill the joy in my life, lol.

Meat and dairy products are becoming very expensive. I have noticed some increases in the faux meat and dairy aisles, but, for the most part, prices have been stable.

I think that we are approaching the point when faux meat and dairy is the more affordable option.

• Inflation and avian flu could make the timing right for meat alternatives to grow market share.
  • Fresh beef and chicken prices were both up 9% in April, while meat alternatives were down 1.6%.
  • Meat alternatives have a 1.5% share of the meat sales market, about 20% of consumers have tried them.
  • By contrast, plant-based milk has reached 42% of households and has a 16% share of the market.

Since early 2020, before the COVID-19 pandemic, beef, pork and chicken prices are up roughly 26%, 19% and 15%, respectively, according to EconoFact, a nonpartisan publication that covers economic affairs.

Meatless Mondays could soon be followed by Tofu Tuesdays, at least among more frugal shoppers. Americans with an eye on the rising cost of groceries may want to curtail their purchases of animal protein, which have collectively notched double-digit price hikes over the past year.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC