2 1/2 years of veganism broken...

I wish all mistakes in life were eating a fillet with cheese (literally once a year).

I'm sure you're a nice person: life is enough hard to put weight on your shoulders with no reason. Carry on and move forward: that's all.

In my case, I once almost broke my veganism streak when a waiter nearly added beef soup to my veggies without my knowledge. That was a close shave because I abhor eating anything non-vegan. (Steve Jobs, who was a strict vegan, once spat a mouthful of soup when he realised there was butter in it).

But I recently realised that I haven't been a strict vegan throughout due to using certain products innocently not knowing they contain animal products. For example, toothpaste and sugar may contain animal ingredients.

So you got high and ate meat. You will be shocked to realise that you have been using animal products in things like plastic bags or shampoos and conditioners without knowing all this while even when fully sober.

Therefore, don't worry so much. But promise yourself never to trip again. For now, blame it on the booze or weed that got you high. Convince yourself that if you were sober, nothing of that sort would have occurred.

I was vegan for 2 1/2 years, veggie for 1 1/2 before that but tonight I got high and ate dairy and meat.

I feel disgusting and awful and am honestly on the verge of a panic attack ): does anyone have any advice, I don’t want to be a bad person

Don't be so hard on yourself, no one is perfect. Just do your best <3.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou and Ohzen
I think its good how times are changing and (compared to me) younger people have hightened awarness and supportive surroundings. I bet my mother would try to sneak meat into my food if she would still be around.

2 and a half years without meat is way more than some people even on this forum have managed. Be proud and happy about every day you were strong enough to refuse. Thinking too much about the times you slipped most likely will only make you sad and get a mindset like: "now it doesnt matter anyway..."

Every single moment you say "no" matters, considering the permanent enticement.

Reactions: Lou
But I recently realised that I haven't been a strict vegan throughout due to using certain products innocently not knowing they contain animal products. For example, toothpaste and sugar may contain animal ingredients.

So you got high and ate meat. You will be shocked to realise that you have been using animal products in things like plastic bags or shampoos and conditioners without knowing all this while even when fully sober.

FYI regarding the vegetarian/vegan status of toothpaste and plastic bags:

I can't find any toothpaste that contains animal products. Crest toothpaste, one of the most popular toothpastes in North America, contains sodium fluoride, sorbitol, water, hydrated silica, sodium lauryl sulfate, trisodium phosphate, flavor, sodium phosphate, cellulose gum, carbomer, sodium saccharin, titanium dioxide, and color: Smart Label

Per ingredient information from the Vegetarian Resource Group and PeTA, the only possibly animal-derived ingredients in this toothpaste's ingredient list are the "flavor" and the "color". Here are links to this ingredient information: Guide to Food Ingredients | Vegetarian Resource Group and Animal-Derived Ingredients Resource | Living | PETA . I don't think that most people want animal-flavored toothpaste.

Yes - some plastics are processed with tiny amounts (0.1%) of fatty acid salts (stearates), which can be derived from animal fat: Error - Cookies Turned Off and New Horizons in Catalysis: Part 7B. Proceedings of the 7th International Congress on Catalysis, Tokyo, 30 June-4 July 1980 (Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis) and https://pim-resources.coleparmer.com/animal-origin-statement/082-15-animal-origin-statement.pdf

Please check facts before posting. Public forums don't need any more misleading posts.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ohzen
And once more. Do not pressure yourself by tallying the number of years you have been vegan. Veganism is a lifestyle not an accomplishment. You will never get a lifetime achievement award or be featured on the Guinness Book of Records for being a better vegan for longer. Enjoy your vegan lifestyle to the fullest rather than tally how long you stay vegan. If you prefer tallying, throughout the upcoming years, you will constantly struggle to beat your current record of 2½ years. So take it easy and ensure that you educate yourself more about veganism. Because being a vegan is not just about eating meat and dairy. Good luck.

Reactions: Ohzen

I can't find any toothpaste that contains animal products. Crest toothpaste, one of the most popular toothpastes in North America, contains sodium fluoride, sorbitol, water, hydrated silica, sodium lauryl sulfate, trisodium phosphate, flavor, sodium phosphate, cellulose gum, carbomer, sodium saccharin, titanium dioxide, and color: Smart Label

Per ingredient information from the Vegetarian Resource Group and PeTA, the only possibly animal-derived ingredients in this toothpaste's ingredient list are the "flavor" and the "color". Here are links to this ingredient information: Guide to Food Ingredients | Vegetarian Resource Group and Animal-Derived Ingredients Resource | Living | PETA . I don't think that most people want animal-flavored toothpaste.

Yes - some plastics are processed with tiny amounts (0.1%) of fatty acid salts (stearates), which can be derived from animal fat: Error - Cookies Turned Off and New Horizons in Catalysis: Part 7B. Proceedings of the 7th International Congress on Catalysis, Tokyo, 30 June-4 July 1980 (Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis) and https://pim-resources.coleparmer.com/animal-origin-statement/082-15-animal-origin-statement.pdf

Please check facts before posting. Public forums don't need any more misleading posts.
I think most toothpaste is not cruelty-free. Last winter when I couldn't find any Tom's in the stores I had some trouble finding a toothpaste that was labeled cruelty free. Good news: there are more than there used to be. It's just with the pandemic they are harder to find on the shelf.

Reactions: Ohzen and silva
You made one mistake. It's ok. Everyone makes mistakes. Move on & learn from it...you feel so bad about it that it won't happen again :)

Geez, they just using examples, and actually toothpastes can contain animal fat based glycerine or dairy based recaldent!

Geez, they just using examples, and actually toothpastes can contain animal fat based glycerine or dairy based recaldent!

The problem with casually mentioning that plastic bags include animal ingredients (and failing to mention that the amount is only 0.1%) is that people start to believe that nothing is vegan, so why bother? A few years ago, certain Canadian vegans were in an uproar over the new Canadian plastic money bills, due to the use of stearates in the processing of polypropylene. What a poor focus of activism! All that anger over 0.1% stearate.

Im used to brushing my teeth with water, salt and one of those rotating toothsbrushes... yes, they are pretty yellow but I think its due to beeing a heavy smoker for 22 years (DONT START SMOKING! Its a disgusting habit!).... last time I went to the dentist (6-7 years ago) he said I have the teeth of an expensive racehorse. I wasnt sure if I should take it as a compliment but he asured me that I most likely wont need a 3rd pair of teeth unless the current set gets knocked out.... by another horse for example.