14 Vegan Cheeses That Will Make You Forget About The Real Thing

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Most of these look really good. I will definitely have to try to make at least one or two of them.

14 Vegan Cheeses That Will Make You Forget About The Real Thing

tumblr_n278ouBMsD1rutp1jo1_500.jpg

Reactions: thefadedone
I like the look of the vegan cheddar cheese ball. However, I wonder what it tastes like as I have never attempted to make homemade cheese.

Do you want to try first PTree ? I'm not too keen to go to all that work, as the cheeses seem more like patés.:p
Hehehe, indeed they do look like a bit of work, but I will be game to try the brie and the smoky vegan cheddar. I need tapioca starch, though. When I do try this, I will definitely post the results/review.

Hehehe, indeed they do look like a bit of work, but I will be game to try the brie and the smoky vegan cheddar. I need tapioca starch, though. When I do try this, I will definitely post the results/review.

I know that we can count on you. After all you are our expert Nanaimo Bar baker. :p

Reactions: PTree15
I will never take the time to make these most likely, but the couple times I had nut cheeses others had made they were pretty good. Maybe not alone but on crackers or something. Way, way better than any of the fake cheeses in the stores. I was all excited because I found Daiya slices a couple weeks ago. My excitement was short-lived. Absolutely vile and added to my list of "cheeses" I will never try again. But hey, they DO melt!

Reactions: thefadedone
I will never take the time to make these most likely, but the couple times I had nut cheeses others had made they were pretty good. Maybe not alone but on crackers or something. Way, way better than any of the fake cheeses in the stores. I was all excited because I found Daiya slices a couple weeks ago. My excitement was short-lived. Absolutely vile and added to my list of "cheeses" I will never try again. But hey, they DO melt!

I didn't like the slices either, but I love the cheddar and mozzarella shreds.

I'm ovo-lacto but I still try to avoid milk products were I can.
I've made cheese sauce with cashews and it was good. I've never tried making a firm cheese.
I'm going to try a few of these.

I didn't like the slices either, but I love the cheddar and mozzarella shreds.
The shreds are edible. Not sure I'd say I love them. :p The Daiya pizza was edible but not something I'd pay that much for again. The slices (I got provolone) were a special kind of gross. I have a jack style wedge in the frig that I'm kind of afraid to try now. I went kind of wild I guess when I found the stuff in a store here, because we never get anything here.

Anyway, back on topic. I've tried most every vegan cheese out there, even if it meant buying them online and paying shipping. The homemade nut cheeses I've tried have them all beat. Too bad I'm too lazy to try these myself. Maybe I need to buy nut cheese online next . . .

Anyway, back on topic. I've tried most every vegan cheese out there, even if it meant buying them online and paying shipping. The homemade nut cheeses I've tried have them all beat. Too bad I'm too lazy to try these myself. Maybe I need to buy nut cheese online next . . .

I've tried a lot of vegan cheeses too and the only bought ones I liked included nuts (as well as lots of other ingredients) so I think the idea of making nut cheese seems like a good idea. I just need to get around it. It's not so much the time as the cost of buying all those nuts, especially if it doesn't taste good.

I really should do it though. I'm going to look for all those recipes for the simpliest one. :)

I've tried a lot of vegan cheeses too and the only bought ones I liked included nuts (as well as lots of other ingredients) so I think the idea of making nut cheese seems like a good idea. I just need to get around it. It's not so much the time as the cost of buying all those nuts, especially if it doesn't taste good.

I really should do it though. I'm going to look for all those recipes for the simpliest one. :)
Bolding mine.

That's my problem too; I want to try but I don't want to waste. But they do look really good.
I want to make cultured almond "cheese". Almonds are one of the healthiest nuts for me but they are my least favorite. Unfortunately I've always gotten a somewhat repulsive flavor whenever I tried to ferment almond products. Luckily I've had more success with cashews =)

If you're worried about cost you might try the recipe below. Sunflower seeds are fairly cheap and you can see if the taste of a seed based cheese (sauce) appeals to you.

Sunflower Mac
by IsaChandra

8 oz macaroni pasta

1 cup unroasted sunflower seed kernels, soaked (see directions)

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt

3 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup nutritional yeast

2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Sweet paprika for sprinkling

Place sunflower seeds in a bowl and submerge in water. Let soak for about 2 hours and up to overnight. Drain well.

Boil a pot of salted water for your pasta.

Preheat a sauce pot over medium heat. Saute carrots and onions in oil with a pinch of salt for about 10 minutes, until onions are translucent and carrots are slightly softened. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds or so, then remove from heat.

Place the carrots and onions in a blender or food processor. Add vegetable broth, corn starch, nutritional yeast, tomato paste and sunflower seeds. Blend until very smooth. This could take up to 5 minutes depending on the power of your machine, so give your blender motor a break every minute or so and test the sauce for smoothness. It should be very smooth, with only a slight graininess.

If your water is boiling, prepare the pasta according to package directions.

In the meantime, transfer the sauce back to the sauce pot. Turn the heat up to medium and let cook, stirring very often, until thickened. This should take about 15 minutes. Add the lemon juice and taste for salt and seasoning.

The pasta should be done while the sauce is thickening, so drain and place back in the pot you cooked it in. Set aside.

When sauce is thick, pour most of it over the pasta, reserving some to pour over individual servings. Mix it up, and serve with extra sauce and paprika for sprinkling.

Reactions: sallyomally
MMMMmmmmmmm..... sounds lovely. Looking forward to trying my hand at making cheese this coming summer when there's more time. My personal favorite storebought vegan chesse is Daiya Havarti style garlic and jalapeno. Yummy with crackers, and makes very nice quesadillas and enchiladas, mac n cheese, and so forth.

What are you waiting for PTree ? I'm awaiting your review as you always make such fabulous food.:p

What are you waiting for PTree ? I'm awaiting your review as you always make such fabulous food.:p
Lol, soon, shyvas, soon. I have a busy couple of weeks coming up, so I don't know whether I can squeeze it in until things ease up a bit.

OK PTree, we'll let you off this time.:p
Hehe, phew! I might be able to try it next weekend. I'm looking at my calendar, and so far all I have is a hair appointment on the Saturday, as a friend had to cancel our dinner plans.