13,000 boxes of extra girl scout cookies trashed (US)

ledboots

Peace
Reaction score
Well, I won't be searching out vegan Girl Scout cookies anymore. There is no excuse for this.

" RIVERSIDE (CBSLA.com) — A David Goldstein investigation reveals that more than 13,000 boxes of perfectly fine Girl Scout cookies were trashed — rather than donated.Goldstein has video of a tractor trashing the cookies before they were sent to a landfill.“Listen,” he says, “as a worker gleefully cheers it on.”Says the worker, “Goodbye, Girl Scout cookies!”The video was taken last May. But sources tell Goldstein this practice has been going on for years — these cookies were leftovers." Continues here http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013...-of-perfectly-fine-girl-scout-cookies-tossed/

uploadfromtaptalk1362075361237.jpguploadfromtaptalk1362075370332.jpg

The tremendous amount of food we waste - it's sickening. And this isn't even perishable stuff, where it takes special effort to distribute it in a timely manner.

People should boycott Girl Scout cookies until this practice is changed.

How does anyone know they were perfectly good? Maybe they were stale or bug-infested.

But I agree, it was a big waste and inexcusable.

Maybe they changed this practice. They don't sell GS cookies all year round. I was at a drugstore in Santa Monica on Saturday, and there were some Girl Scouts (and an adult) selling cookies out front. I decided to help out and bought a box of Thin Mints. There were other customers buying cookies, too. Hopefully whatever they don't sell at the end of cookie season will be donated, not trashed.

It's a little embarrassing to me because I was a Girl Scout myself and I fully support the organization. I think they do great things for girls.

The little girl who came up to me and asked me to buy cookies was SO adorable, too. :)

Hopefully the uproar over this will get the practice changed.

I will still buy cookies if I can track them down. Girl Scouts here don't go door to door to sell cookies any more, and my work prohibits all solicitation, so I have to rely on seeing them selling cookies at the grocery store entrance or on the street corners. I haven't seen them this year, and am worried that I've missed them.