10 Things You Didn't Know About Gas Stations

Yes, you really can cause a spark—and then a blaze—by switching on your phone while at the pump, according to the former DCA inspector.
red.gif
FALSE
snopes.com: Cell Phone Use at Gas Pump

Reactions: ledboots
5. There's a science behind gas station locations.

For starters, the size of the lot, traffic and the kind of people that live in the area. In general though, "If there is a 4-way intersection, you want the corner on the right after the light [for a station]," says Lenard. "Drivers don't want to make left-hand turns, and they want to get past the light before they fuel."

Every corner is on the right after the light.

6. There's a reason gas attendants can walk away while pumping and you can't.

A spill can cause gasoline to seep into ground water or cause a fire if there's a spark. "An attendant is less likely to spill than a person filling up their car who just wants to get in and get out," says the former DCA inspector. So nozzles that attendants use have clips that allow the gas to flow even if they leave the car. But at stations that permit self-service, the clip on the nozzle has been removed so you're forced to hold the nozzle while you fill up.

I don't know about other states, but in California you can set it to automatically pump gas. I never hold it, I wash my windows while the gas pumps. Although, this would have been true about 30 years ago when you pumped gas first and paid second. Then the gas didn't shut off automatically when your tank was full. Maybe the writer copied this one from a really, really, really old article. :p

Reactions: ledboots
Well there is one thing that I know about petrol stations is that they are the most expensive places in the neighbourhood. :p