Why Your Breakfast Should Start with a Vegetable

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan

Why Your Breakfast Should Start with a Vegetable​

Researchers have recently found that eating certain foods like non-starchy vegetables before carbs may result in lower, healthier blood sugar, compared to having carbs first. Especially at breakfast, these veggie starters also suppress hormones that cause hunger throughout the day.

Another plus for everyone is that when you eat vegetables first, you tend to eat more of them, compared to filling up on carbs before having greens. Many Americans are vitamin-deficient and, on average, we get 10 to 15 grams of fiber per day, whereas our ancestors enjoyed about 100 grams. Switching up the order “tends to favor more nutrient dense foods,” Shukla says, “which is good whether you have health issues or want to prevent them.”

Another benefit: feeling full for three hours after a meal, because starters with veggies and protein suppress a hormone called ghrelin that causes hunger. We may consume fewer calories as a result. When people have the same meal in the reverse order, with carbs first, this ghrelin hormone rebounds much higher at the three-hour mark.

Eating carbs last turns up another hormone, GLP-1, that slows the rate at which your stomach sends food to the intestines, further easing the burden on our insulin systems. This effect of GLP-1 forms the basis for the blockbuster weight-loss drugs, like Ozempic, that are surging in popularity. “You can harness your own GLP-1 and boost it through this intervention,” Shukla says

Just talking about needing to do a green smoothie in the morning--with matcha and ginger and pineapple!

Heres a good one-

I've been having sweet potatoes for breakfast lately, and should add cooked greens

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC

Why Your Breakfast Should Start with a Vegetable​

Wow! good stuff.
The green smoothie is a perfect remedy.
I would like to have seen in the article more suggestions.
Would P-B breakfast sausages count? How about hash browns? or Just Egg? About once a week I have a Vegan McMuffin.
I sometimes have PB/bannana smoothies for BF. I wonder if I should have a pea protein smoothie instead.

Wow! good stuff.
The green smoothie is a perfect remedy.
I would like to have seen in the article more suggestions.
Would P-B breakfast sausages count? How about hash browns? or Just Egg? About once a week I have a Vegan McMuffin.
I sometimes have PB/bannana smoothies for BF. I wonder if I should have a pea protein smoothie instead.

Researchers have recently found that eating certain foods like non-starchy vegetables before carbs may result in lower, healthier blood sugar, compared to having carbs first. Especially at breakfast, these veggie starters also suppress hormones that cause hunger throughout the day.

There was a woman doctor, who was the medical correspondent for a TV station in Chicago. She lost 150 pounds and said the biggest change had been that every morning she had a salad, instead of the morning heavy carbs of cereal, etc. She said the weight just fell off.

Until the invention of modern processed cereals, people just ate leftovers from the night before.

In England, breakfast usually has a tomato with the rest of the breakfast items. According to the article, it is important to eat the vegetable BEFORE eating anything else. For instance, you could make a scrambled Just Egg with a side of sliced tomatoes, but eat the tomato FIRST. That was my understanding from the article.

According to the article, carbs should be eaten last in the meal. So 1. veggies, 2. protein, and then 3. carbs is the proper order. BTW, hash browns are carb heavy and would not count. They said non starchy vegetables. And breakfast sausages would be second because they aren't a vegetable. Just stick some tomatoes, cucumbers, or some broccoli in your breakfast, and then eat it first.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Interesting.

I used to always have a green smoothie in the morning, but it is hard to keep to the habit.

I haven't had my breakfast yet so I think I will go and peel and chop up some carrots and bell pepper to keep in the fridge for snacking on before meals.