US US Politics 2024

It feels like the democrats are sleepwalking into disaster at the moment. Trump has been edging ahead in the polls for a while (NYT, 538) and in the past tended to do better than the polls.

The argument that Biden needs to be the democrat candidate to stop Trump doesn't work anymore.

I think Biden should probably stand aside or others should persuade him to.

I realize that the primaries season is over but there are mechanisms where he can pull out or be persuaded to, it's not too late.

He is clearly in a bit of decline and it will show in the campaigns and debates and it won't get better when he's President. I don't buy the argument that Trump is just as mentally unstable, he rambles like anyone would who had to speak for an hour off the cuff all the time, OK he is a little slowing down as well, but not as much as Biden.

It feels like the democrats are blowing it. They need some other serious options.

Trump as President again would be very serious. I think liberals are not as focused as they should be on stopping Trump becoming President. If you want to help the people of Gaza, or stop racism, or help women, or many, many other things the correct strategy at this point in time is to focus on stopping Trump being President however possible as a first step.....

Reactions: Lou
as a very lefty liberal progressive Democrat, I Wish there was someone besides Biden.
On the other hand, it's all about stopping Trump.
Right here, right now Biden is the safe (and maybe best) bet.

The thing that I focus on is how come anyone could vote for Trump. What could they possibly be thinking?
It really can't be a rationale, informed thought process. And I don't know how we combat that.

(actually I do know. We need a better educated and informed electorate. But that ship sailed at least 10 years ago.)

• Agree
Reactions: 1956