US Diabetes Association-Value of veg diets

David3

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The American Diabetes Association has re-affirmed the value of properly-planned vegetarian / vegan diets for the prevention and management of type 2 diabetes.

The ADA gave the paleo diet the lowest score.

Link: What Can I Eat? | ADA

1590868038073.png
Strangely, the American Diabetes Association has not re-affirmed that properly-planned vegetarian / vegan diets reduce blood pressure and the risk of cardiovascular disease. This is very strange, because the American Heart Association states that veg diets DO reduce hypertension and CVD risk: Vegan diet may decrease heart disease, stroke risk in African Americans and Vegetarian and Mediterranean diet may be equally effective in preventing heart disease . I have notified the American Diabetes Association of their apparent error.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
The American Diabetes Association has re-affirmed the value of properly-planned vegetarian / vegan diets for the prevention and management of type 2 diabetes.

The ADA gave the paleo diet the lowest score.

Link: What Can I Eat? | ADA

View attachment 21266
Strangely, the American Diabetes Association has not re-affirmed that properly-planned vegetarian / vegan diets reduce blood pressure and the risk of cardiovascular disease. This is very strange, because the American Heart Association states that veg diets DO reduce hypertension and CVD risk: Vegan diet may decrease heart disease, stroke risk in African Americans and Vegetarian and Mediterranean diet may be equally effective in preventing heart disease . I have notified the American Diabetes Association of their apparent error.

What's striking is the omission of WFPB diets! Although I suggest intentionally, as the results are so blatantly in their favor they'd be disavowed!
Vegan & vegetarian are only omitting foods, and have choices that can still be unhealthy which skews the results. One study where the participants are wfpb vegans would be very different from one with junk foods, oils sugars processed things ....but both are vegan

Reactions: PTree15
I've had a lot of questions about the American version of the Med Diet. I looked into the cookbooks and most of them had fish in all of the recipes. I saw a documentary where they went and ate the true Med Diet and they only had animal products 4 or 5 times per month.

The Costa Rica Blue Zone is the same. Beans, grains, and vevetables. Okinawan's diet is 60% purple sweet potatoes.

• Informative
I've had a lot of questions about the American version of the Med Diet.
I don't think countries have different versions.
I dont' have any evidence, but my impression is that the Med Diet is just a healthy diet. Lots of vegetables and less meat. Mostly fish. And I think it includes some dairy too.

Oh, wait. here is a definition..
The Mediterranean diet is a pattern of eating that focuses more on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts, legumes, lean proteins from fish and poultry, good fats from olive oil, and some dairy, while limiting consumption of sweets and red meats.​

When diets are ranked health wise, the med diet usually is right at the top.

I don't think countries have different versions.
I dont' have any evidence, but my impression is that the Med Diet is just a healthy diet. Lots of vegetables and less meat. Mostly fish. And I think it includes some dairy too.

Oh, wait. here is a definition..
The Mediterranean diet is a pattern of eating that focuses more on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts, legumes, lean proteins from fish and poultry, good fats from olive oil, and some dairy, while limiting consumption of sweets and red meats.​

When diets are ranked health wise, the med diet usually is right at the top.

I took a look at some of the American Med Diet cookbooks, and they mostly had daily fish and chicken diet.

1714959674835.png

There are various versions of it but this one is fairly typical. This one says fish and seafood twice a week. BTW that is probably to meet omega 3 requirements.

I checked out the Vegeterainian Diet cookbook by Julieanna Hever. Her book the Idiots Guide To Plant Based Nutrition was one of the first book on Vegan diets I read. The Vegeteranian Diet combines the best of the vegan diet and the Mediterranean Diet.

• Informative
I'm not trying to argue, but I've seen the diets of people who claim to "follow" the Med Diet, and they are eating the same amount of animal products. They just switched the red meat heavy diet for a fish and chicken heavy diet. Whether it is the recommended amounts, that is what people are doing.

I've watched some documentaries on Sardinia, and the diet is very light on all animal products.

1714970420871.png

I'm not trying to argue,
didn't think you were. I don't think we even disagree. We are having an interesting conversation.
but I've seen the diets of people who claim to "follow" the Med Diet, and they are eating the same amount of animal products.
Yes. Of course some people will not follow it correctly
They just switched the red meat heavy diet for a fish and chicken heavy diet. Whether it is the recommended amounts, that is what people are doing.
Switch the word "recommended" for "allowable. And you can see where the problem lies. In that food pyramid that I pasted above - "Fish and Seafood - At least two times a week" So that is a minimum You could have it every day.
"poultry, eggs, cheese, and yogurt - moderate portions daily"

The Med Diet is very highly ranked - in many journals, its #1. I think part of that is that it is easier than more strict diets so people are more likely to follow it. Also considering health - I bet it gets its best results when it's followed more conservatively.
I've watched some documentaries on Sardinia, and the diet is very light on all animal products.
Do the people in Sardinia think they are following the med diet?
Maybe they are just eating what they have always eaten?

Anyway, the Med Diet in any of its variations is still loads better than the Standard American Diet.

didn't think you were. I don't think we even disagree. We are having an interesting conversation.

Yes. Of course some people will not follow it correctly

Switch the word "recommended" for "allowable. And you can see where the problem lies. In that food pyramid that I pasted above - "Fish and Seafood - At least two times a week" So that is a minimum You could have it every day.
"poultry, eggs, cheese, and yogurt - moderate portions daily"

The Med Diet is very highly ranked - in many journals, its #1. I think part of that is that it is easier than more strict diets so people are more likely to follow it. Also considering health - I bet it gets its best results when it's followed more conservatively.

Do the people in Sardinia think they are following the med diet?
Maybe they are just eating what they have always eaten?

Anyway, the Med Diet in any of its variations is still loads better than the Standard American Diet.

Yes, they are following the original Med Diet. Sardinia is the Blue Zone.

About the chart in @David3 's original post: Am I reading it right? It appears to indicate that a low-carb diet does not confer a reduced risk of diabetes. I think refined carbs, at least, are not good for someone with diabetes. I was diagnosed as being pre-diabetic 2-3 years ago, and I seem to be pulling out of that: I mostly stick to whole foods now, although I still do eat lots of carbs (whole grains, legumes) along with vegetables and fruits, and often a handful of sunflower kernels (that last one high in protein, but also high in unsaturated fat). I've been avoiding large meals, especially later in the day, and eating smaller meals 3-4 times a day. I'm not starving myself, but I don't gorge either.

Last edited:
  • Informative
About the chart in @David3 's original post: Am I reading it right? It appears to indicate that a low-carb diet does not confer a reduced risk of diabetes.
You are reading it right. I can't speak definetly about why that it but I'll hazard a guess.

everything you said you ate: whole grains, legumes, vegetables and fruits, are NOT included or only included in moderation in a low carb diet.
Low carb usually means under 50% of your daily calories comes from carbs. Let's call it 40%. so that means that you are eating at least 60% fat and protein. Not good for diabetics.
the best goal is carbs should make up over 60% of your calories. Protein And fats should be less than 40%.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L.